108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS SAN Switch connection.

SOLVED
Go to solution
VMS Support
Frequent Advisor

OpenVMS SAN Switch connection.

We are restructuring the SAN fabrics at one site to increase the ISL's and enable them to be trunked if needed.

We have a (Alpha ES40 OpenVMS) server "10:00:00:00:c9:27:ab:3a" connected to switch 3 with domain id 81 on port 6.
We have a HSG "50:00:1f:e1:00:14:94:84" connected to switch 3 with domain id 81 on port 3.

What needs to happen is the server will be move to port 10 on switch 3, and
the hsg conenction needs to be moved to port 15 on switch 3.

The zoning on the switches is WWID based so we will not need to modify the switch zoning.

However the questions are:
1) When moving the HSG port from switch 3 port 3 to switch 3 port 15. Will all the server conn details be different and !newconns generated for each server that uses this hsg.

2) When moving the server from port 6 on switch 3 to port 10 would a new conn be generated on the hsg80?

I have been told two version.
Yes You will get a whole load of new conns.

However our network team tell me that this was done on a switch last year and nothing changed in the way of connections. i.e. old connections going offline and !newconns appearing. Has anyone else done this ?
2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

From your description I don't expect any new connections, because the basic connectivity path (Fibre Channel adapter WWN to Controller/Port combination) does not change.
Mike Reznak
Trusted Contributor

Yes,

nothing will change.

It's the wwid data which matters and it's not changing.

Mike
...and I think to myself, what a wonderful world ;o)