108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS Telnet Problem with Windows XP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Damon McNutt

OpenVMS Telnet Problem with Windows XP

Hello,
I have an Alpha 1000A server with OpenVMS 7.2-1. This system is setup by a contractor with TCP/IP, and for many years I have been able to telnet into the system from Windows XP. Recently, I discovery that I can telnet into the system, and login to the system, but I cannot get a full directory listing with the "dir" command. I do not get any errors, but the telnet session locks either just after the return key or after a few lines of text of the directory list.

This does not happen to all Window XP system. Some work fine, some do not. Network config is the same.

I had the contractor here declaring that the problem lies with our Windows XP systems. I am not a VMS expert, and I have no problems telneting into Unix/Linux systems with these systems, so I am at a loss as to the problem. Does anyone have a direction as to where I should look first?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
John Gillings
Honored Contributor
Solution

Damon,

What telnet client are you using from XP? The Windows "native" telnet client is a very poor ANSI terminal emulator, making it difficult to talk to OpenVMS properly (where is the "DO" key?) You may do better with a more complete terminal emulator package. There are many available from freeware to commercial products.

If you can reproduce the problem, try running a TCPTRACE. It sounds to me like OpenVMS is sending larger volumes of data in large packets and the PC is having trouble dealing with them. You may be able to hack around this by setting lower MTUs, but it would be better to fix the PC so it can correctly run IP protocol.

If you're having trouble interpreting the trace, log a case with your local customer support centre.
A crucible of informative mistakes
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

Some basic things to think about ...

Where is your pc in relation to the Alpha network-wise? Think about all the devices and interconnections along the way and inquire about what may have changed with them eg. new switches, new workstations were installed on the xth floor and there was alot of activity in the wiring closets, a WAN link to a remote office was upgraded etc. How "many years" have you been using XP to Telnet? Are all XP clients using the same Telnet app? What may have changed on your pc? New nic, new drivers?

You say other XP clients are ok so think about where they are on the network and you can start to rule things out.

Good luck,
Art
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

One of the best free telnet and SSH client programs for MS Windows and Unix (also in terms of VT220 emulation) is PuTTY. Its homepage is http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

HTH,
Martin
Damon McNutt

Hello again,
Now all is well. It is a MTU problem that can be fixed. Sadly, not by me, but we will soon solve the problem with this great info.

Thanks
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Damon,

Maybe you can find some time to do some assigning to those that supplied that "great info"?

See

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

"Suddenly" there is an MTU problem after all these years? Obviously something was upgraded/replaced/played with!

Art