Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
Operating System - OpenVMS
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenVMS: UIC changes producing unexpected results

SOLVED
Go to solution
Highlighted
pkraatz
Occasional Collector

OpenVMS: UIC changes producing unexpected results

I'm a new poster here and have run into an quandry I've not been able to track down. We're doing a lot of tests on UIC to make sure certain COM's are run by a specific user. For years (litterally) it's been expecting [ORACLE] from this lexical statement: if f$getjpi ("","uic") .nes. "[ORACLE]" then it will resubmit the job through a batch queue under the Oracle user. Recently a change was made to the Oracle user that when this test occurs now, it fails even under the ORACLE account because the same test is returning [<name>,ORACLE]. Other than the UIC line in the account looking like this: [700,100] ([<name>,ORACLE]), when it should just be: [700,100] ([ORACLE]).

I've looked at several modifications that I thought may return the account to it's previous appearance, but to no avail. Any ideas on where I should look would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: OpenVMS: UIC changes producing unexpected results

I always found this confusing, so I know nothing, but my Web search
for:
      openvms uic
did lead to this:

http://h41379.www4.hpe.com/doc/84final/ba554_90015/ch04s01.html

which my provide an explanation.  To be sure, you might need to
investigate other members of group 700, and/or other [*,ORACLE] users.

David R. Lennon
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi,

It seems if there is a rights identifier that names the UIC group, then it will display the [group,member] as a name, if there is only a rights id for the member then it shows it as [member]. If neither rights id is present, it will show the numbers.

For example, here:

UAF> SHOW ORACLE

Username: ORACLE Owner: ORACLE DB TEST

Account: ORACLE UIC: [277,100] ([ORA,ORACLE])

[...]

UAF> show/id ora

Name Value Attributes

ORA [000277,177777]

Note the 177777 as the member number, this means the entire group or "*".

UAF> show/id oracle

Name Value Attributes

ORACLE [000277,000100]

So to get back your old behavior, simply remove the group rights id, in my case ORA by saying:

UAF> REMOVE/ID ORA

It can always be re-created with:

UAF> ADD/ID/VALUE=UIC:[277,*] ORA

Regards,

Dave

pkraatz
Occasional Collector

Dave,

Thanks for the expanation and resolution! It has returned the behavior back to what was expected. We'll be watching the jobs for a few days to make sure they will resume properly.

And thanks to you Steven, that link is a wealth of information and to be honest was hard to keep my eyes open reading it. I'll have to space it out over a few days to absorb what I can.

Regards,

Patrick