Operating System - OpenVMS
1752572 Members
4530 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: OpenVMS - Welcome message - wait-time ...

Edmundo T Rodriguez
Frequent Advisor

OpenVMS - Welcome message - wait-time ...

In connection with the sys$welcome NOT sys$announce

Were would be the correct place to set the time it should stay on screen to be seeen at login time?

I been working with OpenVMS for long time but I haven't see any related info in any place (since DEC times)

at least I dont recal seen it, about this specific setting.

Examples:

$ WAIT 00:00:03

$ define/system sys$welcome_time XXX   < If exist something like

The welcome message is displayed so fast, that users doesn't have time to be really ... Welcome!

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Edmundo,

in this case, it may be better to display the 'welcome message' with TYPE from SYLOGIN.COM.

See http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/955

Volker.

James T Horn
Frequent Advisor

We wrote something that would output information like new email count and any notices we had that ran as part of the SYLOGIN.COM file so the user would see it. Did not fix the problem when users would put the "Type/page nl:" in their LOGIN.COM files.

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

James,

in that case, you would want to at least add a $ WAIT 00:00:30 in your SYLOGIN.COM or some read with timeout, where the user could continue by typing <return>

Volker.

Edmundo T Rodriguez
Frequent Advisor

Hey

Thank you for your inputs

But as I expected not even 'old-timers' like you two (first 2 responders) had a different idea.

I hate the idea of using SYLOGIN for something like displaying the Welcome message.

I wish there would be an internal which could be touched to uncomment a setting of this kind.

OpenVMS could stil be improved in many ways,and I am of those who hate hear that there is NO more developing.

We need to request and possibly force HP to 'open' OpenVMS in some areas so new releases keep coming out

at least until 2027  for the Gold Anniversary of 50 years, that way at least some of us if live that long, or the word

hasn't end, may be able to see running in other architectures just as UNIX/Linux

Regards