1753635 Members
5755 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OpenVMS and SVC (San Volume Controller)

David Huber_1
Occasional Advisor

OpenVMS and SVC (San Volume Controller)

We have noticed some threads regarding some folks doing some work with VMS and SVC...We are looking at possible migrating one of our main applications supported by OpenVMS to AIX. At the present time, we are about out of storage....We would like to go ahead and purchase SVC and storage and use it with OpenVMS and then migrate to AIX over the next couple of years...

Any help out there? experience? I saw a Robert Jacobs had some threads on this...

thanks
david
KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)
5 REPLIES 5
Jack Trachtman
Super Advisor

Re: OpenVMS and SVC (San Volume Controller)

David,

I'm in the same situation as you. Management has asked to to connect our HP storage to an SVC (OpenVMS V7.3-2, Brocade switches, EVA 5000s). The IBM doc indicates
what firmware level all of the above must be at, so they have tested at lease one combination of these devices, but I'd also like to see what real-world experience others have had.
David Huber_1
Occasional Advisor

I thank you jack....I am still looking for contacts with real world experience too!! We may enter into a pilot test. We will be using the SVC with a DS4700. I will keep you informed or you may email me directly at david.huber@stjude.org
KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)
Rob Young_4
Frequent Advisor

David,

4.1 supports vms, even booting, see here:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=591&uid=ssg1S1002865#_OpenVMS

I work for a consulting agency that is an IBM
business partner and has considerable SVC
sales and support experience. Distance may
be a factor, if nothing else we could
exchange some emails off line.

Drop an email address out here, or I'll
scrounge up a spam-dump email address and
drop it out here (assuming interest).

Rob
Rob Young_4
Frequent Advisor

gee, should have read the whole thread.
Anton van Ruitenbeek
Trusted Contributor

Mister IBM,

I've read the link of Rob Young, but can you explain to me what AdvFS is under OpenVMS ?
Even what a 'ln -s /dev/disk/dskNc' etc. are ?
I do also Tru64 so I know what these things suppose to do but please remove these from OpenVMS. We do have the best filesystem and don't need a surrogate add-on.
Do we need to change somethings on the parameters or execute some tools on the OpenVMS site or are these lines by accident copied.

AvR
NL: Meten is weten, maar je moet weten hoe te meten! - UK: Measuremets is knowledge, but you need to know how to measure !