1748123 Members
3288 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OpenVMS and related license transfer

Dec Forever

OpenVMS and related license transfer

Hi,
We have just decommissioned a VMScluster of DS20E Alphaservers and are looking to dispose of them. The original company that the hardware was owned by (and therefore the licenses registered to) no longer exists.

Obviously the hardware has a limited resale value, but we have all the original Compaq PAK documents including Unlimited VMS, VMScluster, Advanced Server etc. etc.
Needless to say, these were very expensive when new.
Could someone please advise me on the correct procedure to transfer these licenses to a potential buyer of our hardware. Unfortunately all we have are the original documents, as the company no longer exists (though it has been acquired by a new company which I work for).

It would also be very useful to know if there is a reference that may assist is in knowing what the market value is of, for example, an Unlimited User OpenVMS license for a DS20E?
Thanks in advance.
Kevin.
6 REPLIES 6
Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Re: OpenVMS and related license transfer

Welcome to the ITRC OpenVMS forum!

Licensing can be quite a minefield.

Start by having a look at this page:

http://www.hp.com/softwarereleases/releases-media2/slt/emea/relicense.html

and then follow up on the links on the page.

Regards,

Duncan
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

For the license transfer see http://www.hp.com/softwarereleases/releases-media2/slt/americas/va.html. Typically with hardware transfer, a modest charge is will register the licenses, but it's been a while since I've been in this position.

I've generally looked for multiple bids to set the resale value. Look regional reseller. Where are the systems located? If it's in the United States, e-mail me (see profile) and I can provide some resellers.

Andy Bustamante

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Hoff
Honored Contributor

Based on having just done some research for somebody else that was working with a similar (and memory-starved) box just yesterday (and that discussion is elsewhere here in ITRC), the going auction purchase price for an AlphaServer DS20e box with a decent hardware configuration is currently around US$900, plus shipping. Or less. This is the purchase price, and far higher than what a reseller or an auction will usually offer.

(Most of the value seems to be the based on the value of the memory DIMMs, too.)

HP typically charges for license transfers. (And you now have the pointers over to the HP software licensing web site.)

OpenVMS Hobbyists can get their software licenses for free, which means that the Hobbyist users aren't usually driven by the PAKs.

There are a series of Integrity rx2600 Itanium boxes that are going for US$200. Or less.

One of the options around was using this box as part of an Integrity upgrade; HP has (had?) an upgrade program for that. (And one of those US$200 rx2600 boxes will outrun a AlphaServer DS20e box.)

Put another way, don't spend too much time and effort on this. Post up a notice in the comp.os.vms newsgroup or over on the Deathrow cluster, or talk to a reseller.

Dec Forever

Thanks guys. Sorry I didnt reply sooner - I was crossing continents.

I think its all quite straight forward and it seems that for ├в ┬м400 they can transfer all the licenses for a particular system (though it seems that the VMScluster and TCP/IP cant be transferred). These are the licenses I have (original PAK documents).

QL-MT1AE-64 OVMS Alpha Base DS20 LIC
QL-MUZAC-RA VMSCLUSTER V/A TRAD UPD LIC
QL-0LXAE-AA TCP/IP SVC V/A TRAD LIC
QL-MTFAE-AA DECnet/OSI ES V/A License
QL-MT1A9-6M OVMS/A SMP Asvr1200/DS20
QL-MT2AE-RA OpenVMS Alpha Unl Update Lice
QL-09KAE-AA DCPS Open-amV/A License
QL-09MAE-AA DCPS-Plus V/A License
QL-MV4AE-AA DW MOTIF V/A TRAD LIC
QL-5LQAE-AA ABS OMT VMS TRAD LIC
QL-5LSA9-3B ABS CLT WNT 1 CONC LIC x100 UNIT
QM-5LKAA-AB.7.2 PW 32 MUL SYS 1 LIC x 300 UNIT
QM-5SUAA-AK.7.3 ADV SVR PW VMS 1 CAL LIC x200 UNIT

I'm offering these, togther with a DS20E dual 833mhz and 2GB for ├В┬г1000 to a reseller.
Am I ripping myself off? I have two identical systems.

Thanks again guys. Kevin.
Daniel Shinefield

I'll buy them. Please contact me with the configurations. Daniel Shinefield 610-668-2650 I am in the US, but I'll pay shipping. quantumtechnology@mac.com