6451 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS command to blink the physical disk LED

Samshen
Frequent Advisor

OpenVMS command to blink the physical disk LED

Hi,
I have many disks in the shared storage and I am in doubt which is the physical disk which corresponds to $1$DGA4301.
I there any command which blinks the LED of the physical disk?

Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

My personal favorite...

A simple $COPY $1$DGA4301:[*...]*.*.* nl:
That'll flip on the busy light!
(as well as generate a stream of errors :-)

You could augment that into an SOS signal
COPY short file 1
WAIT 0:0:1
COPY short file 2
COPY short file 3
COPY longer file 1
COPY longer file 2
COPY longer file 4

:-)

Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

some storage arrays have a locate function which switches on a light on the drive.

Depends on the storage array.

What have you got?

Samshen,

Answering your question is impossible without knowing what type of shared storage controller you have.

Why do you care? Are you getting errors logged against the $1$DGA4301 device?

Since this is a DGA device, we can assume it is a FC controller that the actual disk are connected to.

If the controller is an EVA, then a vdisk (which will correspond to a single $1$DGA device) will have the blocks contained in it spread over all the disks in the disk group it was created on. In other words, there is no single physical disk that corresponds to a specific $1$DGA device.

If you have a HSG80, finding the disk(s) that correspond to the unit is at least possible, but you will need to get to the HSG80 console and issue a locate command.

I don't know enough about XP or MSA controllers to know how to answer for them.

If you don't know what type of controller you have, please paste the output of

$ show device/full $1$DGA4301:

as it will have some hints.

Jon
it depends
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Does anyone know what the Tru64 command
/sbin/hwmgr locate
actually does?

Any way to persuade SYS$ETC:SCSI_MODE.EXE
(or something else on VMS) to do something
similar?

http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_HTML/ARSFCATE/TITLE.HTM
http://h30097.www3.hp.com/docs/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/V51B_HTML/ARSFCATE/SCSDDRCH.HTM#locate-scsi-devices
Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

I am not sure Samshen is even following this thread any more.

Although this doesn't apply to VMS, following is the relevant portion of the document referenced by Steven's last pointer. Just in case the link becomes inactive in the future, here is what it says:

--------------------

3.4.1 Locating SCSI Hardware
The locate option, which currently works only for some SCSI devices, enables you to identify a device. You might use this command when you are trying to physically locate a SCSI disk. The following command flashes the light on a SCSI disk for one minute:

# /sbin/hwmgr locate -id 42 -time 60

You can then look the disk bays for the component that is flashing its light. You cannot use this option to locate some SCSI devices such as CD-ROM readers and disks that are part of an array (such as an HSV110). However, disks that are part of an array are detected on failure and an event is posted in the Event Manager log. The array controller identifies the failed disk by flashing its read or amber error light. You do not need to manually search for the failed device.

--------------------

Note that it specifically states it works only on some devices, and it cannot be used to locate disks that are part of an array.

it depends
Cass Witkowski
Trusted Contributor

THe DGA device is on a SAN storage. From OpenVMS you can do some task that will make the disk active. If you truely want to seen which disks make up the DGA device you will have to go to the storage array itself and issue commands like LOCATE. HSG80 and MSA1000 have this as well as the EVA. This will cause the AMBER light on the disks to either blink or stay on solid. It varies between storage subsystyems