1753822 Members
9167 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS - configuring NFS Server

Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor

Stephanie: I had a similar problem with TCPIP funcitons having LOGIN.COM privilege problem. You also need to check the LOGIN.COM security.
$ DIR/SEC SYS$SYSDEVICE:[UCX$NFS]LOGIN.COM
It turns out that several different TCPIP function owned the wrong LOGIN.COM files so the requesting functions couldn't weren't the owner of the file. Since group doesn't have WRITE privilege, permission is denied and the TCPIP function failed.
I had to manually fix the ownership. Apparently the functions receive the individual UIC numbers in the order that they are installed the first time.
Lawrence
Stephanie LaRiviere
Occasional Advisor

Joseph, I checked the UIC's and they are different:
UCX$NFS UCX$NFS [375,11] UCX$NFS
TCPIP$NFS TCPIP$NFS [3655,13] TCPIP
note: they do point to different directories.

One thing no one has responded to is the fact that I can not update the SERV for NFS in TCPIP (still shows disabled:
TCPIP>NFS 2049 UDP UCX$NFS Disabled
NOTE: remember @sys$manager:tcpip$config shows NFS as ENABLED and STARTED.

When I try to update the SERV, it excepts the input, but makes no changes (I've mentioned this in previous notes).

Lawrence, the UCX$NFS dir is owned by UCX$NFS AND UCX$AUX --- the same for TCPIP dir being owned by TCPIP$NFS, etc. I'll add the UCX to the TCP and vice-verse to see if this helps.
Joseph Huber_1
Honored Contributor

At least the different group-IDs between UCX$NFS and TCP$NFS explains one (the primary ?) error in TCPIP$NFS startup: in one of the replies You showed tcpip$nfs wants to write into [UCX$NFS], but can't because of the directory protection.

I can't follow what happened at TCPIP services installation over an existing UCX version. On my systems it correctly pointed all directory use to [TCPIP$NFS] rather than [UCX$NFS]. But as long as this is not fixed, it will not work.

Maybe as a first try (since You don't want to re-install), give TCPIP$NFS write access to the UCX$NFS directory using an ACL:
Set acl/acl=(ident=TCPIP$NFS,access=R+W+C) sys$sysdevice:[000000]tcpip$nfs.dir

Of course this just for trying out, not a permanent cure for the mess.

And note: as long as the logical tcpip$nfs_started in table tcpip$startup_table does not have the word "completed", tcpip$nfs_startup will do nothing !
http://www.mpp.mpg.de/~huber