Operating System - OpenVMS
1752815 Members
5811 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS ftp server connection log file creation error

David Hinrichs

OpenVMS ftp server connection log file creation error

We dropped the ball recently and let the connection log file version reach 32767. What is the expected behavior of the ftp server if this log file cannot be created? I thought the connection would be refused, but others in the group say no.
We are running OpenVMS 7.3.2 TCPIP 5.4
5 REPLIES 5
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Respectfully, why ask here? It would seem faster to RENAME the current top log version to the specified ;32767 version and to try it.

I'd expect the connection to operate, but to not create a log. (Setting the file version to ;32767 has been a popular and long-standing way to disable the creation of log files, but this technique doesn't work in all cases.)

Or is this a quiz?
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

It's like Hoff said : it works but no further log is created.

Wim
Wim
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

We call a special procedure during login to avoid such situations, it purges and/or renames selectable logfiles. I attached it to give you an idea.

regards Kalle
David Hinrichs

Thanks everyone for replying. Remotely supporting a system that others administer can be a pain.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

::Thanks everyone for replying. Remotely supporting a system that others administer can be a pain.::

I deal with these case quite regularly as part of normal support operations.

It's no big deal, save for those cases that require direct hardware reconfiguration or reading off LEDs or such.

I prefer to concentrate the general set-up effort up front. This when everybody involved is awake, aware, properly caffeinated, and not in a hurry or a panic, and when the gear can be staged. This set-up work includes setting up for remote access via network (via VPN or otherwise) and (if you're supporting the system to this level) setting up remote console access. When working with OpenVMS support, I also prefer to have a scratch disk available, or to have access to a (host-based) InfoServer, or both.

As part of remote support, having a local box or having a local emulation or such can be useful for testing cases such as this one.

Once established, remote boxes aren't a big deal.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs LLC