New Discussion юеВ

OpenVMS installation

SOLVED
Go to solution
geir_2
Super Advisor

OpenVMS installation

Hi,

I have an OpenVMS workstation , and I want to create a clean OpenVMS installation. In my situation I have two options to do it:

1) Run vmsinstall and create/install a new system of it. Later I must install more packages like DECnet, UCX, TSM, Fortran, C, C++ etc. After installation I must install license. So far so good. But my problem is to find the software media (CD's). I have sent some e-mail to x colleagues, but sofar I got no answers. Does someof you know where I can get the software media from?? I assume it's lot work to do if I want to install OpenVMS from sratch.

2) The next options is to clean up the running system. Deinstall unnecessary software package.
It looks more simple to do it like this.
Which commands is necessary to list the installed software packages, and later deinstall uselesss software packages.

Nice If somebody could give me hints

Thanks

Geir
39 REPLIES 39
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Re: OpenVMS installation

To check for installed software on a quite modern VMS version:

- PRODUCT SHOW PRODUCT and PRODUCT SHOW HISTORY

displays all software installed via PRODUCT,
this software can be deinstalled using PRODUCT REMOVE

- TYPE SYS$UPDATE:VMSINSTAL.HISTORY

displays software installed via the VMSINSTAL procedure, the deinstallation of such software is not straightforward, some software provides for a deinstallation procedure, e.g. Oracle/RDB, other software can only be deinstalled manually (some installation guides contain a list of installed files as a starter, but there are also Helpmodules, DCL verbs...)

- and then there is the BACKUP... type of software, which is difficult to track

I attached a little DCL script (2 files), which uses a control file to check for versions of a lot of software and can be adapted to your needs, perhaps it helps a little.

regards Kalle
geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. I'm running OpenVMS 6.2 (old version).

So I must use the old commands.

Geir
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

PRODUCT SHOW PRODUCT and PRODUCT SHOW HISTORY do work on VMS V6.2

Thanks. If I run @sys$update:installed_prds.com, the output show a long list with products installed on the workstation.

Is it possible, to use simular command to deinstall some of these packages?

Geir
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Products installed with PRODUCT INSTALL can be removed using PRODUCT REMOVE.
Unfourtally products installed with VMSINSTAL do not have a standard method of removal.

If you are in the Americas, HP Services has a reasonably priced ValuPack for replacement media, V5.n, V6.n, V7.n, V8.n whatever you've got. Send me an email and I'll reply with details. If you're in another geography I can contact your local HP Services people. /jeff
le plus ca change...
geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,
Thanks. I live in Europe. (Oslo). After all execellent feedback, I think I will install OpenVMS from scratch.

I also want to backup the old system with following commands:
$backup/image/log/veri dka0: mka500:ws99.bck/save

I hope the command is correct.

In the OpenVMS package I found 10 + 2CD with software. I assume the fist disk is bootable

>>> boot cdrom

Next, I must answer a lot of questions. I want to install DECnet, Fortran, C,C++ and POSIX.

At end license pak must be installed with the license command.

I hope everything seems to be OK? If somethings ins't correct let me know.

Thanks.

Geir
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor
Solution

Geir,

the backup commands looks good.

If you have the layered product Cd-set, there is no bootable Cd in it. You need the OpenVMS distribution, it contains a Cd labelled e.g. 'HP OpenVMS Alpha Version 8.2 Operating System'.

You can then boot it and install Vms together with the standard products (DECnet,TCPIP,Motif...).

When VMS is running, you can then installed software such as compilers... from the layered product Cd-set.

regards Kalle

Barry Alford
Frequent Advisor

I think you normally install the License PAK before installing a layered product --check the product's Installation Guide first.

This allows the IVP (Installation Verification Procedure) to run after the installation.