9595 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS or not?

Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

>>
All I wanted to know is how the system transforms from a standard command prompt to a menu-driven screen.
<<

The same general way as on any operating system. You run a menu program.

Someone created a menu program. Someone placed its run instruction in the command file that executes when you log in. The menu program that is being started when you log in is named PSMGMENU.

Someone also set your user authorization record so you are "captive" and can't get to the DCL command prompt.
Andreas Vollmer
Valued Contributor

Hello,
It is wonderful that you are show interest in OpenVMS.
But as suggested by my colleagues - talk to the IT guys. Do not try to impress them - it could be the wrong signal.
Please be aware all your attempts to find out on what kind of OS and server you are working and trying to get to the DCL level could be logged.
Depending in what kind of environment you are working this could cost your job!
There are reasons to setup this kind of special accounts!

Yes, your question makes me suspicious. Your investigations could be treated as a hacking attempt.
I support Hoff's suggestion - please ask the IT support.
Consider the system you have access could be a production server. Even if you get access to the DCL prompt, a wrong DCL command, entered by curiosity, could bring down the system or worse.
Therefore stay on track and talk to the IT guys in your company!
Andreas
OpenVMS Forever!
Andreas Vollmer
Valued Contributor

Hi ngoht20,

You have asked a lot about VMS but didn't assigned any points for the answers.
Please so kind and assign now points for the answers of the colleagues. You have created other forum entries than this.
This is in respect for the time and help many people devoted for you!

For sure 0 points for this!

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Many thanks for your understanding.
Regards
Andreas
OpenVMS Forever!
ngoht20
Frequent Advisor

Ok, heres what I see from my Windows PC connected to a OpenVMS host on port 23.

Username
Password:
Last interactive login on Friday 07:54:01.88

Then it drops me down to the screen below.

MENU OPTION SCREEN

01- ORDER PROCESSING 07- SECURITY
02- GM PROCESSING 08- PROCUREMENT
03- ORDERS
04- SYSTEM MAINTENANCE
05- ACCOUNTING
06- PART NUMBER ENTRY

SELECTION BOX ////

Hoff
Honored Contributor

This system is probably OpenVMS, and (if this is OpenVMS) most definitely involves some installed software. Probably either local, or a third-party product of some sort, or a combination.

This system definitely looks like it might contain customer and financial data.

Have you discussed your interests here with your manager? I'd not want to see someone showing such initiative and interest end up getting fired.
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

ngoht20,

To amplify Hoff's comments, there have been cases of far worse than firing, to wit, criminal prosecution for "insider" hacking.

Please be careful and make sure that you have permission to "investigate". In this case, permission from management is FAR, FAR cheaper than lawyer time defending against an overreaction.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
ngoht20
Frequent Advisor

OK, prople, let me make this very clear here.

ALl of our systems are being logged, monitored for illegal use.

Sencondly,

Even though I am very new to VMS systems, I am familiar with its ususal command line interface.

But all I want to know is that how do they program the system so it transformes from the command like shell into a menu-options driven screen...

Thats all. This is not about a hacking attempt or any other illegal activity.

Please understand.

Thanks you and sorry for the misunderstanding.
Peter Quodling
Trusted Contributor

That's is sort of like asking how does a computer become a web server...

It's software - there are menuing system what have been written in everything VMS's Command Language DCL, through to high level languages. Screen manipulation may be done with VT100-ish specific embedded screen manipulation escape sequences, or if smarter, and in high languages, with calls to the SMG, or other libraries.

to use a comparision, it's like trying to relate what happens in Windoze with what can be done in a DOS Window on a Windoze system. (Of course, DOS Windows just became way more powerful with the new Microsoft CLI, which was incidentally developed by one of the Former VMS DCL Devos.

q
Leave the Money on the Fridge.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Hidden identity. Odd questions. Unclear IT and management support. Lack of DCL access. Seeking information on system identification. Financial-oriented system involvement.

ngoht20, if the roles were reversed, how would you interpret the intent of somebody named "Hoff" that now was asking these details of you and of your local system. (And Hoff hadn't posted his name and affiliation.) What would you think?

Even entirely innocent, this just looks odd.

If I wandered into ITRC and saw my system menu displays posted here, there'd be an immediate security overhaul, security review, and (as needed) lockdown. Subsequent to the security verification, the organization and all authorized accessors would be involved in a discussion.

As for your various questions, details of how the menu system for the particular target site -- specific language(s), any screen maangement tools or APIs, specific local handling of DST, etc -- is implemented are available through the IT organization for the site, and through the responsible manager(s). We don't know the answer. We can guess. The site IT folks either know the answers, or the site folks have the access necessary to gather the answers.

I and others here can certainly provide mechanisms for implementing menu systems and for solving problems -- there's a full menu system in the back of the Writing Real Programs in DCL (2nd Ed) book I co-authored a while back. There's the OpenVMS User's Guide, mentioned in another thread. Tutorial sites referenced in the OpenVMS FAQ.

Most any language around can be used to implement user I/O, and to implement a menu system. DCL is a common choice here, but very far from the only choice available.

There are organizations around -- HoffmanLabs is one -- that can deliver training tailored to your needs and to that of your site. Or a security review, if the manager of this system should wander into ITRC. Have your organizational folks contact me, and I'll set you up with a class(es) that will get you up to speed on DCL and DCL programming, on up to compiled languages and advanced programming techniques.

But first things first: get your manager and your IT organization involved.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs