6210 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OpenVMS or not?

Terry Lykens
Occasional Advisor

Re: OpenVMS or not?

Duh, that should be /nocomm not /nolog.
This is what I get for posting before coffee...

-Terry
Carson Hovey
Occasional Advisor

Try a google search on:

Remote OS detection via tcp/ip fingerprinting.

ngoht20
Frequent Advisor

Ok folks!!! Here we go....I tried the CRTL-T key combo and yes...IT WORKED!!!!

Heres what It gave me below:

RUEV03: :KZP746 07:52:02 PSMGMENU
CPU=00:00:00.06 PF=407 IO=201 MEM=238

Then before that, I had this information BEFORE it took me to the MENU-OPTION SCREEN below like this:

Username:
Password:

Last interactive login on Friday, 07:33:00.87
PSMGMENU_V3 (1) Executing group captive login

Now, can people here say now that this is most likely running or connected to a OpenVMS host server?

Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

ngoht20,

Every indicator that you have mentioned is consistent with an OpenVMS system.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Hoff
Honored Contributor

This system is likely running OpenVMS.

Nothing here so far is incompatible with OpenVMS behavior and capabilities.

Please back up a few steps here and explain why this identification is an issue, as this is the very first time I've ever encountered a discussion such as this one. There has to be more here, and some background would certainly help better steer the discussion.

You have direct physical access or access to this information through your management and through other local organizational channels; there would seem to be a far more direct path for obtaining this host system configuration information than here in ITRC.

Based on the discussion so far and based on the above reasoning, I could easily infer that this investigation and your goals might well be nefarious, or otherwise unauthorized by whomever is responsible for this system. I do hope this particular inference is incorrect, but I'm certainly also forced to assume there's rather more going on here than what we're being provided with.

Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

ngoht,

You are logged into a server named RUEV03 as user KZP746 and you are running a compiled program named PSMGMENU in a captive environment. Or, so you are being led to believe. If it is OpenVMS, then the menu program PSMGMENU isn't part of OpenVMS.

The operating system could be OpenVMS or it could be something that was developed by some geeks in a basement next door and just presents an OpenVMS type of user interface.

You could keep trying to hack into the system and eventually your system managers will contact you and then you can ask them.
ngoht20
Frequent Advisor

Hacking is totally out of the question. My facility logs, momitors, and records for such activities.

All I wanted to know is how the system transforms from a standard command prompt to a menu-driven screen.

I have been interested in OpenVMS for quite some time now and I do want to learn its ropes since its the most stable and secure OS around.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Suggestions for learning DCL on OpenVMS:

o Talk to your manager.

o If you learn from reading and doing, wander over to the OpenVMS documentation web site, and download the OpenVMS User's Guide, and take some time to skim and understand material described there. If you learn from classroom materials, ask your manager for support.

o As for "doing", acquire login access to Deathrow, Encompasserve or other network-accessible OpenVMS site, and learn about DCL commands and procedures there. Use these sites to learn. Details in the OpenVMS FAQ.

o Locate and read any of the available DCL tutorial sites and documents listed in the OpenVMS FAQ.

o For more advanced DCL work, find a copy of the book I wrote (the book goes in and out of print) called Writing Real Programs in DCL 2nd Ed. This book includes what I believe is an extensive introduction to DCL, as well as an example menu system.

o As you become more proficient with DCL and as you seek to work within your existing environment, you will want to contact your local support staff and request (read) access to the DCL and tools involved. You will also want to engage their support.

Surprise your manager and the local IT and management and security staff at your own peril. Continuing to follow a course of questions such as that of this thread will likely cause a degree of skepticism among IT and security and management folks. Offer enthusiasm and assistance and increasing DCL skills and openness, and you can potentially make your manager and your IT team look better. And you can improve your skills, and your value.

ngoht20
Frequent Advisor

Maybe it will come to that regarding contacting my local IT people who administers these systems. Also, I did download tons of VMS related docs.

I really want to learn more about this OS which is the most secure OS around.
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

ngoht20,

I notice, that noone yet said, so I will do that:

WELCOME to the ITRC VMS Forum!

How about thanking those that helped so far?
see:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.