6966 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: OpenVMS restore

geir_2
Super Advisor

OpenVMS restore

Hi,

Since DAT/DLT tape is not on support anymore, we backup the file system to a remote OpenVMS server. The daily backup jobs seems to work perfect. Then my questions:

1: if we want to restore stystem disk, I thought we could boot from CD  and or an image created by stabackit. So far so good, but the problem come into beeing when I try to put in a DECnet address.

All ncp commands are available,  but the server does not accept the commands. Write error ++.  I need to put in a DECnet address  so it can restore image/saveset from a remote server.  Is it possible to configure DECnet from standalone mode (booted from CD and/or stabackit image)?

Hope someone could answer my questions.

Thanks in advance

/Geir

7 REPLIES 7
Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

To put it simply?  Neither standalone backup nor booting from the distribution CD or DVD will allow network connection.  You didn't say if what platform you're using nor what VMS version but this is pretty universal.  There might be SOME flexibilty on Itanium but nothing like a DECnet address.  You should be able to use either your DAT or DLT tape drive, tape drives and libraries are still supported.  IF you have a problem with it, as in VMS can't drive it properly, it won't be something you can expect a fix to resolve.  Mostly, though, the support available for SCSI devices has been enhanced but what was there should work provided you have it connected to the right interface with the right cables.  I look at it like the current SCSI support is a "superset" of what was available when your tape drive was more "main stream."  It's certainly worth trying and you can always use /VERIFY or /COMPARE to make sure that the drive operated correctly when you wrote the tape.  You could also test a restoration to a spare drive to be sure...if available.

bob

geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the answer.  So then I maybe have two solutions on my problem.

1). Not sure, but is it possible to boot the server from a remote server (with fixed config, DECnet included). Not sure, but is it possible to use MOP?

2)Otherwise we can start installing OpenVMS  (+ layered products). Then configure DECnet, and next restore from remote server.  Think it will work.

Thnaks again

/Geir

Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

@geir_2 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the answer.  So then I maybe have two solutions on my problem.

1). Not sure, but is it possible to boot the server from a remote server (with fixed config, DECnet included). Not sure, but is it possible to use MOP?

It isn't impossible BUT the usual configuration for something like this, depending on hardware architecture,  would be making the node you're reloading/restoring a "satellite" cluster member with the server from which you're booting.  "Remote server" also requires more clarification.  Timing and delays would be considerations.

2)Otherwise we can start installing OpenVMS  (+ layered products). Then configure DECnet, and next restore from remote server.  Think it will work.

It would really help to know if your system in this scenario was a VAX, Alpha or Integrity (or emulator), what version of OpenVMS and more about your general storage configuration.  IF you have a spare disk available you could build a bootable operating system that has your required networking and backup tool already setup so you could boot, connect to your backup system and restore your data and full system disk.  HOWEVER, you do need to be aware that saving your system disk with /IGNORE=INTERLOCK can cause serious problems when you restore from that saveset, time consuming and frustrating problems.  There are ways to work around these limitations but they all have other complications and resource consumption.

Thnaks again

/Geir

geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

Thanks again.  Forgot to mention following details. (No cluster)

AlphaServer 1000 4/266

OpenVMS ALPHA  v6.2-IH3

Today we store backup's to a remote server (since HP doesn't support current tape device anymore). Since we cannot use tape device in future, the plan is to store backups remotely. So far it looks fine.  The big question is how I can restore system disk. Believe all other disk is no problem.

Do we have  any other possiblities? ASlso think's thinks it's odd when I have possbilities to run ncp commands (from standalone mode), but it's not possible to configure/setup.

Rgds

Geir

Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

I guess you're saying that neither tape drive can be put under hardware maintenance?  That's a far cry different from the tape drive(s) being supported by OpenVMS, they should definitely be included as supported in the OpenVMS SPD for V6.2 and derivitives.  More current OpenVMS releases may not list those specific tape drives but I believe that they still work.  V6.2 and derivatives had many different patches and ECOs.  Those for SCSI fixes and support added many different hardware devices and may give you the option to find tape drive hardware that HPe will still support

The overall, simplest, quickest solution would be to locate a spare disk equivalent to your current system disk and keep it loaded with an OFFLINE image backup.  Using /IGNORE=INTERLOCK is not your friend.  It may appear to work but you will, eventually, run into complications that will cost you more in time to rebuild and recover.  There's an old cliche:  "You can pay me now or you can pay me later" and that applies here.  If it were my system and data I'd always have a relatively current offline copy of the system disk.  There are only two somewhat SIMPLE options for making offline copies of your data or system disk.  Booting from the distribution CD and building a minimal operating system on an alternate disk.  There are no true "standalone backup" solutions for Alpha like there are for VAXen, booting the distrubution CD is the closest alternative.

Just curious...  What, in general, is keeping you at V6.2-1H3?

bob

geir_2
Super Advisor

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the answer.  We have not support on currently tape drive (EOL)  That's reason that we would like to backup the server to a remote disk.  If other disk than system disk needs a restore it's no problem to run a restore through a remote server.

Is it possible to create a bootable image of the system disk and put it into another disk on same server? Could of course create a mirror system disk, but then we will occopy a whole disk for that usage.

It's no need to upgrade the OS since our network is a closed network (due to security  reason). And the os work perfectly without any  problems.

/Geir

PS: Late answer, thought no one would  answer my question. Saw the answer for few minutes ago. But thanks for  your support and help. :-)

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Geir,

Is it possible to create a bootable image of the system disk and put it into another disk on same server?

Just use: BACKUP/IMAGE/IGN=INTERLOCK SYS$SYSDEVICE: other_disk:<dir>SYSTEM.BCK/SAVE

You need a bootable OpenVMS Alpha CD to restore that system disk backup.

Volker.