1751792 Members
4924 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

OpenVMS support for Hanzi (PRC) and Hanyu (Taiwan) Chinese characters

Adam Bunn
Occasional Contributor

OpenVMS support for Hanzi (PRC) and Hanyu (Taiwan) Chinese characters

Does anyone know if it is possible for OpenVMS to support both Hanzi and Hanyu Chinese character input in same OS.
We currently have problems entering some (but not all) Traditional Chinese (i.e. Taiwan)Characters (aka Hanyu) but no problem entering PRC Chinese Characters (aka Hanzi). I have little knowledge in this area, but from what I have been able to find, it seems to me that the problem might be that there are actually two different versions of the OpenVMS operating system, one which supports Hanzi and another which supports Hanyu, but is there anything available that supports both Hanzi and Hanyu Chinese character sets.

My OpenVMS version is a rather old "OpenVMS/Hanzi V7.1-1H2".
1 REPLY 1
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Re: OpenVMS support for Hanzi (PRC) and Hanyu (Taiwan) Chinese characters

Adam,

Unfortunately, the online manuals (for the current version are in Hanzi). The Ask The Wizard entry referring to the Asian language variants is old (2000) and not illuminating.

If you have a set of English manuals for this system, the relevant question is: How is data actually stored? The secondary question (for your application) is: Can data in both formats co-exist in the same files/databases?

I hope that the above is helpful. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com