5315 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

OpenVMS terminal server setup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Max Jarvis

OpenVMS terminal server setup

I'm new to VMS. I need to add 128 serial ports to Integrity rx2660 running OpenVMS using four 32-port Lantronix terminal servers, network protocol TCP/IP (not LAT). Software in the rx2660 needs to write and read these ports, using VMS device names in the form XXyn:, e.g. TTA0: or whatever. I can control the IP addresses of the terminal servers, but how do I assign 32 XXyn:-type device names to the 32 ports on each server?
4 REPLIES 4
Hoff
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: OpenVMS terminal server setup

Deja vu. I received this as an AskHL question over at the HoffmanLabs site, and posted up an answer over there.

http://64.223.189.234/node/1185

Jon Pinkley
Honored Contributor

Max,

If you have Lantronix ETS32 terminal devices, they use tcp port 3000 + terminal port number when setup for connections established from the ethernet side.

I.e. if you want to connect to a device attached to port 22 of the ETS32, you would connect to tcp port 3022 for the ip address associated with the ETS32.

You probably also want to use the ETS console commands to configure the ETS ports as broadcast disable, otherwise the terminal server may send info to whatever is connected to the async port. Also, be aware that one of the ports will be the console port (this defaults to 1, can be changed with >> define server console port ## command) and when the ETS boots or there is a problem, messages will be sent out the console port. That can be bad if you have a machine console connected. There may be a way to disable the console port, but if so, the online help wasn't clear.

Jon
it depends
Max Jarvis

Jon, thanks for the reply. Actually they are EDS32-PR terminal servers, not ETS32.

I assume you're talking about Telnet ports created using the Telnet CREATE_SESSION command, as advised by Mr Hoffman. Where did you find the bit about the Telnet port numbers starting at 3001? I've got the EDS32-PR User Guide but it doesn't seem to be mentioned there.

Also I haven't found anything about the 'define server console port' command, but I think that may be because the EDS32-PR has a dedicated console port as well as 32 ordinary serial ports.

Thanks again - Max.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Ok. Two parts.

Host-side configuration.

Terminal server configuration.

These are entirely separate configuration steps.

But the host-side settings are dependent on the server-side settings; the host needs to know the IP address and IP port(s) of the terminal server that is the target.

For the server side, read and follow the directions for the Lantronix server. Those will be available from Lantronix. You need set the serial ports to allow remote (inbound into the server) access, and you need to know which IP ports are associated with which serial connections. This is (or should be listed) in the the Lantronix documentation for the particular device.

There can be some confusing terminology here, as you'll often see references to IP ports and to serial ports.

The Vnetek DECserver command set will almost certainly be different from the Lantronix commands, but the basic configuration requirements are the same.

You'll need to know the server-side IP port settings before you can invoke the host side commands.

Then for the host side, follow the session commands given.