cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenVMS to win2K -- Print jobs pending all the time

Navipa
Frequent Advisor

OpenVMS to win2K -- Print jobs pending all the time

Hi all, Env: Hardware: VAX 4000-105A HW Model: 391, Rdb Version: Rdb/VMS V4.1-0, TCPWare Version: TCPware(R) V5.5-3 Our OpenVMS application sends print jobs regularly to printers configured on the printserver (win2000SP4) and it was working fine, but today no reason (no changes on both VMS and Win2000 side) , all the jobs were at the "Pending" status. Then I deleted all the pending jobs and given another $print /que=q1 filename. I get the same issue. All printers having IP and are connected via the print server, the port says as RAW/9101. I see there are 15 print queues (LPS_xxxx with defined logicals. So I assume win2000-printer server has LPD enabled, but I found there are no LPD service enabled on printer server1. And I see LPD service is running on all other printservers and all VMS servers printing there without any issues. The problem is with this printserver1. $ SHO QUEU Server queue QTEL1, idle, on TEL1::, mounted form DEFAULT Server queue QTEL2, idle, on TEL2::QTEL2, mounted form DEFAULT The logicals defined... "TCPWARE_LPR_TEL1_PRINTER" = "unix-TEL1@PRINTSRV1" "TCPWARE_LPR_TEL2_PRINTER" = "unix-TEL2@PRINTSRV1" I am not sure LPD (& the required port) is the required service missing or any other print service, but I installed from windows component (print services) and enabled LPD on the printserver1, and now TELNET/port=515 printserver1 works, which didn't work earlier. But now my print command gives the following error. Entry Jobname Username Blocks Status 259 print_doc SYSTEM 1 Retained on error %SYSTEM-F-INVLOGIN, login information invalid at remote node Submitted 19-FEB-2016 5:54 /FORM=DEFAULT /PRIORITY=100 Thanks Navipa
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Re: OpenVMS to win2K -- Print jobs pending all the time

Could you make your posting any harder to read?

> [...] Rdb Version: Rdb/VMS V4.1-0, [...]

Not interesting.  The VMS version might be interesting.

> [...] Our OpenVMS application sends print jobs regularly to printers
> configured on the printserver (win2000SP4) [...]

> [...] All printers having IP and are connected via the print server,
> the port says as RAW/9101. [...]

I'm confused.  Who, exactly, says "RAW/9101"?  Is the VMS system
sending print jobs directly to these IP-connected printers, or to some
Windows system which then sends them (somehow) to the printers?
"RAW/9101" suggests direct-to-printer, not anything to do with LPD/LPS
(which uses port 515, not 9100).

When you post something readable, you might try including actual
output from SHOW QUEUE commands, and using actual names for the
computers involved.  (For example: Are "printer server1", "the
printserver", "PRINTSRV1", and so on, the same system or different
systems?)

> [...] TCPWare Version: TCPware(R) V5.5-3 [...]

Have you talked to the TCPware people?