New Discussion юеВ

Re: OpenVMS utilities & system help

SOLVED
Go to solution
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

>>>
I'm not sure which devices they are. All of the SAN config is done. Here's the display from the OVMS system.

Device Device Error
Name Status Count
HP$DKA100: Mounted 0 WA
HP$DNA0: Online wrtlck 0
<<<

The FC disks should show up like $1$DGAn

If you don't see them, and if SYSMAN IO AUTOCONFIGURE doesn't discover them, I'd guess there's a problem in the presentation (i.e. OS Unit ID set to 0 on the EVA or VMS system HBA not in the same zone as the EVA on the FC switch).

Note that the EVA 3000 doen't present any vdisks when the cache batteries are not in a working order.

cu,
Martin
Martin Vorlaender
Honored Contributor

>>>
I'm not sure which devices they are. All of the SAN config is done. Here's the display from the OVMS system.

Device Device Error
Name Status Count
HP$DKA100: Mounted 0 WA
<<<

The FC disks should show up like $1$DGAn

If you don't see them, and if SYSMAN IO AUTOCONFIGURE doesn't discover them, I'd guess there's a problem in the presentation (e.g. OS Unit ID set to 0 on the EVA, or VMS system HBA not in the same zone as the EVA on the FC switch).

Note that the EVA 3000 doen't present any vdisks when the cache batteries are not in a working order.

cu,
Martin
Robert Gezelter
Honored Contributor

Wade,

Please post the information about the "disks" that the EVAs are presenting (from the EVA side), it was fairly clear that the OpenVMS ports were being found from the presence of the port controllers in the SHOW DEVICE output (as Martin has observed).

- Bob Gezelter, http://www.rlgsc.com
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Wade,

If the SAN config was done AFTER the VMS boot, then the SAN devices still have to be "discovered".

From a suitably priv'd account (CMKRNL,DIAG,LOG_IO,SYSPRV minimal) issue

$ MC SYSMAN IO FIND_WWID.

Now you SHOULD see (a) GG device(s).

If not, then the SAN config and/or connections are NOT Ok.
In that case (have SAN Management) make sure of LUN 0 (zero) NOT being in use, and zoning being set up correctly.

If you DO see GG device(s) an
$ MC SYSMAN IO AUTO should now find all SAN disks (and tapes) as DG (and MG) devices.

ps. for SAN -- boot -- device(s) only an extra WWIDMGR action at console mode is required.

hth.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
WADE S
Frequent Advisor

Alright, that may be the issue. The OS unit ID on both disks is set to 0. How do i know what it needs to be set to, or does anything other than 0 work?
WADE S
Frequent Advisor

Alright, that may be the issue. The OS unit ID on both disks is set to 0. How do I know what it needs to be set to, or does anything other than 0 work?
Art Wiens
Respected Contributor

You can make the unit id's "anything" you want, but they must be unique across the fabric. Something reasonable like 100 and 101 will net you devices on the VMS system named $1$DGA100: and $1$DGA101: .

Cheers,
Art
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Wade,

>>>
The OS unit ID on both disks is set to 0.How do I know what it needs to be set to, or does anything other than 0 work?
<<<

1. NONE must be set to 0 (zero)
2. EACH must be set unique.
3. Depending on DEVICE_NAMING, they can be freely set from 1 tru 9999 or from 1 tru 32767.
Either setting, if you take your pick below 9999 you are GO.

hth

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Wade.

Upon rereading, let me get more precise.
It is the VMS system, which will assume the LUN 0 (zero), as seen by SAN.
Seen from VMS, that will be GGA#, with # going up from 1 for each additional SAN.
It will be the SAN LUNs, that will be used as the DGA#### device numbers as seen from VMS.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
WADE S
Frequent Advisor

OK, that did the trick.
Device Device Error Volume Free Trans Mnt
Name Status Count Label Blocks Count Cnt
HP$DKA100: Mounted 0 WADEOVMS 62132512 324 1
$1$DGA3001: (HP) Online 0
$1$DGA8001: (HP) Online 0

Now that I'm discovering the devices, what steps do I take to pass data to them?

Are there any tools available for OpenVMS, that allow me to generate lots of IO to the disks to test performance?