Operating System - OpenVMS
1753665 Members
5343 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Opening/Saving Word documents on a VMS NFS share

Mark Wyatt_1

Opening/Saving Word documents on a VMS NFS share

Hi, is there anyone out there using NFS server on VMS that can open and save a Microsoft Word document with the LOCKD/STATD service running?

If I disable LOCKD I can open/save Word documents without any problems but I then lose the ability to edit and save files in notepad and wordpad. A workaround would be to have two drive mappings - one with locking and one without, but this would be a bit awkward for users to work with.

We're running OpenVMS V7.3-2 and TCPIP V5.4
NFS is configured to use PCNFS and Proxies. I've not set any ACL's just standard directory/owner permissions. Mapping is done via an XP machine connecting using PCNFS to the VMS server. The directory and files are all owned by the VMS user used for the connection (via the proxy).

Does anyone have a solution or any suggestions?

Mark
4 REPLIES 4
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Do you get error messages ?

Any logicals *statd* , *lockd* ?

Wim
Wim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

gap support

Thanks for the replies. I've since located an TCPIP ECO V5.4-155 which addressed an error I was getting when Locking was disabled (with notepad/wordpad). This now allows us to open and save all document types. The only downside is that without locking enabled, users can overwrite each others changes when editing the same document.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

You might recover from simultanious writes thanks to VMS file versions.

Wim
Wim