108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle 10G, ora-12170 and ORA-12535

Dima Bessonov
Frequent Advisor

labadie, you're not giving much details on how you attempt to start Oracle 10.2

From my rather limited knowledge,

1) There is no single do-it-all startup procedure for Oracle 10.2. So you have to: a) install resident images; b) start the listener process via SRVCTL; c) bring your database instances up, one-by-one, also via SRVCTL. I assume you're running a plain vanilla Oracle 10.2, not a Real Application Cluster database. Otherwise, the entire startup procedure would be quite different.

2) Startup MUST be done from Oracle dedicated account so you can't run it directly from SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM, like you used to do with other products. Either do SUBMIT/USER=my_oracle_account or run it manually from that account.

3) To install resident images, you must either run ORAUSER and then INSORACLE, or first do DEFINE ORA_AUTO_INSORACLE TRUE and then do ORAUSER. From 10.2 on, that's how it's done.

4) When you have problems with Oracle 10.2 installation on OpenVMS, a good starting place for reading is Oracle note 726914.1, "Index of install related notes for Oracle 10.2 on hp OpenVMS". Make sure that you've read and followed the notes referenced there. You'll find a lot of seemingly minor but vitally important details. Takes time but saves you from a good deal of troubles...

5) BEFORE deploying any database instance, upgrade from 10.2.0.2 to 10.2.0.4 and apply the latest (10.2.0.4.3) patchset. Otherwise, you'll still have to do the upgrades AND manually run SQL scripts against each instance to recompile database views and objects after each upgrade. Without that, the sun will not rise ;)
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Dima

>>> 2) Startup MUST be done from Oracle dedicated account so you can't run it directly from SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM, like you used to do with other products. Either do SUBMIT/USER=my_oracle_account or run it manually from that account.

I do a submit/user=oracle_account

>>>3) To install resident images, you must either run ORAUSER and then INSORACLE,

Yes I do

>>>4) When you have problems with Oracle 10.2 installation on OpenVMS, a good starting place for reading is Oracle note 726914.1, "Index of install related notes for Oracle 10.2 on hp OpenVMS".

Yes I had downloaded and read before the install

>>>5) BEFORE deploying any database instance, upgrade from 10.2.0.2 to 10.2.0.4 and apply the latest (10.2.0.4.3) patchset.

Not possible here, the customer wanted to stick on this version (10.2.0.2).

Dima Bessonov
Frequent Advisor

labadie, you wrote:

>>>>>>5) BEFORE deploying any database instance, upgrade from 10.2.0.2 to 10.2.0.4 and apply the latest (10.2.0.4.3) patchset.

>>>Not possible here, the customer wanted to stick on this version (10.2.0.2).

Your customer should understand they're heading for big trouble and no one would be able to help them. Version 10.2.0.2 is NOT SUPPORTED. Oracle does not release fixes and CPUs (security updates) for unsupported versions. They must upgrade to 10.2.0.4 to be eligible for support. I really can't see any reason why they want to stick to 10.2.0.2 - to my (obviously very limited) knowledge, the difference is only bug fixes.

In any case, on VMS V8.3-1H1 I64, one must apply several mandatory patches for OpenVMS (see note 377480.1) and Oracle patches for 10.2.0.2 (see note 391580.1, for 10.2.0.4 see note 751537.1). Have you applied any of them yet? If yes, which ones? Did you try to open a support case on Metalink?
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

The customer has his dev box with this version.

Yes I had applied the patches you cited.

No I have not opened a case.

I do not see the advantage of having a trace file if it is not possible the interpret it.
Dima Bessonov
Frequent Advisor

>>> I do not see the advantage of having a trace file if it is not possible the interpret it.

Frankly I'm more of the opinion that the trace files may be of _some_ use when one opens a TAR and is then asked by Oracle support to collect all that stuff... There are lots of Oracle problems out there that don't show up in the trace files. Imho, if you don't see there anything that gives you an immediate clue, don't waste your valuable time and open a TAR.

PS Regarding Oracle logicals and LNM$FILE_DEV. LNM$FILE_DEV is normally modified from within ORAUSER.COM. Every Oracle home has its own logical name table named SERVER_xxxxxxxxxx . When you run an Oracle command, it needs to know, what home should be affected by this command. To choose the appropriate home, the command looks up LNM$FILE_DEV and finds the name of corresponding logical name table. So every Oracle home has its own ORAUSER.COM and when you run a specific ORAUSER.COM, it redefines LNM$FILE_DEV appropriately. I'm not sure that'll help you much but who knows...
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the valuable input.

Fekko Stube may be right with the invalid device name, but I would like to be sure this is a correct use of this 324...
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Fekko Stube was right!

I have found on
http://hpdba.wordpress.com/tag/keep-alive/

that the secondary error code is OS dependant

Extract

nt secondary err code: 145
nt OS err code: 0
Client address: (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=nn.nn.nn.nn)(PORT=57922))

In this example, the Solaris error 145 shows that the disconnection was not due to an Oracle setting or database problem, (as some parties were insisting), but was actually from a connection timeout at the OS level. (Look up error number 145 in /usr/include/sys/errno.h ).

and if I do on a Solaris

grep 145 /usr/include/sys/errno.h
#define ETIMEDOUT 145 /* Connection timed out */

So the problem was an invalid device name, I suppose some mismatch in the ora* logical names, and the redefinitions of lnm$file_dev

Dima Bessonov
Frequent Advisor

So, labadie, what was wrong in your VMS installation? I don't quite get it so far but am curious to learn.
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Dima

If I only knew...
Zeni B. Schleter
Regular Advisor

Looking through old mail during the time when we migrated from 8i to 10g, there were problems relating to ORACLE_HOME definition and PARSE_STYLE setting. I remember that the fixes were simple but finding the source of the problems was not.

Since we did not use extended parse style setting up to that point, we stumbled over that setting more than once.