5496 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle 10g Client Install on VMS Cluster

mikew_3
Advisor

Oracle 10g Client Install on VMS Cluster

Hi Everyone,
I want to install the Oracle 10g Client on a VMS cluster. The machines are HP rx2660 running vms 8.3-1h1.

My question is can both nodes in the cluster share the client install or do I have to install Oracle RAC as well? If RAC is need to use the same client install, can I install 2 instances of the client, 1 for each node?
Is there special configuration needed for both nodes to use 1 instance of Oracle Client?

I can't find any information on Oracle about using the client on a cluster.

Thanks,
Mike
5 REPLIES 5
mikew_3
Advisor

I can not find any reference in Oracle docs that discusses installing Oracle RAC and Oracle Client which makes me think RAC is not needed or compatiable with the client.

I am considering installing 2 instances of the client, 1 from each node that would be standalone.

Does anyone see a problem with me installing an Oracle 10g Client for each node?

Thanks,
Michael White
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Hmmm.

The client install is entirely independent of a server/RAC install. So forget that angle.

I would think it would be relatively hard to make two two independent client installs, but it really all depends on the Ora-Home(s) you pick.

Share it!

I expect, but never verified, that if you install twice, with indepent homes, that you could use either home from either node?

Do you _want_ 2 clients installs?
Perhaps to get 2 TNSNAMES.ORA files?

Just some remarks, thinking aloud.
Maybe I'll actually try some day on my servers!

Hein
mikew_3
Advisor

Thank you for the reply. I'll forget the RAC angle. I really do not want to install RAC anyway.

I would prefer to have the nodes share 1 client install. I can't find docs on how to have 2 nodes share a client install.

I think my only option may be to install 2 clients in multiple oracle homes and point the nodes to seperate homes.

Does anyone else have experience doing this?

Thanks,
Michael White
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

I did my install on 8.2. Worked fine on a shared common disk. Install on one node like you normally would. Then on the second node setup all of the logicals and call the startup of the oracle.

Example:
In sys$startup:systartup_vms.com I call
sys$startup:oracle$startup

sys$startup:oracle$startup contains
@disk:[dir]ORAUSER.COM
@ora_root:[rdbms]insoracle.com

Then when I login I manually run this to setup symbols for my process
@disk:[dir]ORAUSER.COM

The biggest pain is during the installation of which disk / logical name you have to use to do the installation.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

I installed the 10g Client on my Itanium Blade Cluster running OpenVMS 8.3-1H1.

I only installed once (on a common Cluster Disk), but execute the startup on all nodes. Have not experienced any issues with running the stuff (no RAC).

My Alpha cluster (which was being replaced by the blades) was running 7.3-2, so my biggest problem was tracking down the equivalent files, like orauser.com and networkuser.com. Many have moved locations, which required modifications to our user login files, etc., but other wise no real problems.
You will notice that there is only one "inventory" directory labelled with the name of the node where the installation was run from, but this doesnt seem to be any problem for the other nodes.

Good Luck.

Dave.