108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Oracle 9i VMS Installation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Oracle 9i VMS Installation

We currently run Oracle 8, but our main software supplier has said that we need to upgrade to 9i to remain supported.

The problem is they say it can only be installed using DECWindows and it has to sit on an ODS-5 disk!

If there's anyone out there with experience of Oracle 9i and would be willing to discuss this, please email me at ratkinson@tbs-ltd.co.uk.

Thanks, Robert.
16 REPLIES 16
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

Re: Oracle 9i VMS Installation

Just to clarify - its your application provider that has said you have to go to Oracle 9i and not Oracle?

Which version of VMS are you running?

>> We currently run Oracle 8, but our main software supplier has said that we need to upgrade to 9i to remain supported.

Sounds reasonable. Too much trouble keeping the nuance differences straight (connect internal -vs- / as sysdba, demise of svrmgrl, statspack -vs- utlXstat, RAC, pga_aggregate tuning,...).

>> The problem is they say it can only be installed using DECWindows

Not so much DECwindows as an X display.
As long as you can define DECW$DISPLAY to some willing host (linux/unix/vms host or a Windoze box with excurstion or sygwin or such) then you should be in good shape.
Remember to always test the display with a simple DECW$CLOCK or Xeyes before tryin an install.

>> it has to sit on an ODS-5 disk!

Anything stopping you from going there?
What VMS version are you currently on?

>> If there's anyone out there with experience of Oracle 9i

It's out there. It is mature. It is required to be properly supported. It is where the momentum is. You want to go there. :-)

fwiw,
Hein.

Lawrence Czlapinski
Trusted Contributor

Robert, we recently went to Oracle 9i on one of our Oracle servers. We built the non-systems disks as ODS-5 for Oracle.
Lawrence
Daniel Fernandez Illan
Trusted Contributor

Hi.

This table list the operating system software requirements for Oracle9i products.

Table 1-3 Operating System Software Requirements
Software Requirements

Operating System

HP OpenVMS version 7.3

Oracle Net Requirements

Oracle Net on HP OpenVMS is developed and certified using Hewlett-Packard TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS (UCX). If you wish to use the TCP/IP protocol adapter for Oracle Net, then you should have Version 5.1 ECO 4 or higher of TCP/IP Services for HP OpenVMS Alpha installed. TCP/IP protocol stacks from other vendors may work with Oracle, but customers use these products at their own risk. Any TCP/IP problems that cannot be reproduced using TCP/IP Services for HP OpenVMS Alpha will simply be referred to the TCP/IP vendor.

Vendor-provided protocol services are usually upward compatible, so that existing applications will continue to work without modification. Thus, later releases of TCP/IP are upward compatible with Oracle Net, provided that the vendor-specified Application Programming Interface (API) does not change with new releases.

Window Manager

X-Windows must be installed on the system from which the Oracle Universal Installer is run. Use any Hewlett-Packard-supported X-Windows server (for example, Excursion, dtwm, twm, mwm) that supports Motif.

Also, the disks on which the Oracle code tree resides must be formatted in Files-11 On-Disk Structure Level 5 (ODS-5) format. This is the disk to which the VMS logicals ora_root, ora_rootdir, and oracle_home will point. The directory that is referenced by these logicals is the parent directory for all Oracle RDBMS software, such as APACHE, CTX, INSTALL, NETCONFIG, RDBMS, UTIL, and so forth. The disks on which Oracle database files reside can be formatted as either ODS-2 or ODS-5.

This information is in:

http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/html/B10508_01/planning.htm#1104554

but you need a ORACLE user to access them.

best regards.
Jack Trachtman
Super Advisor

We also are testing a migration from Oracle 8i to 9i.

Just a note that only the "code tree" for Oracle code must be ODS-5 - the tablespaces themselves can be left on ODS-2 disks.

We have initialized a disk to ODS-5 for this testing and have no plans to change the ODS-2 structure on any of our other disks.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

note that you do not have to initialise the disk to change to ODS5. Just use the SET VOLUME/STRUCTURE=5. You dont lose the contents of the disk. NB You can not go back to ODS2 once you have done that so backup first.

Hi,

one comment on the requirements quoted earlier in the thread. If support is an issue, you do <> want to be on VMS 7.3. 7.3-2 is pretty mature, well tested in the field and will be a "landing zone" release with extended support by hp. If you upgrade, go there.

As far as ODS-5 is concerned, you will need it in more and more places and e.g. having the system disk on ODS-5 is no problem at all.

Greetings, Martin
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Thanks for all your responses.

The VMS version will eventually be 7.3-2, so not problems there.

The annoying thing about this is that we only require the client, no databases, so that we can talk to Oracle on a Windows box.

I know what your thinking; why not just use Attunity or something similar, but this is a black-box solution and we have no control over it.

Reading your responses, I'm not so apprehensive about converting to ODS-5 as I was. We have a DS10 test bed that I can try this all out on anyway, so !hopefully! we'll get any problems sorted before doing this on the production system.

Robert.
Denver Technology
Occasional Advisor

Robert,

One thing to watch when you carry out your upgrades is the order you do them as it affects the Oracle code tree re-link with regard to Java RTE - even if you don't intend to use the Oracle Java tools.

OpenVMS V7.3 & V7.3-1 is supplied with Java RTE V1.1.8 (which is now ancient and has limited support). The OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-2 upgrade strips out this default version of Java RTE leaving you to install the later version of your choice - 1.3.1 or 1.4.2. Unfortunately Oracle V8i, when it runs the code tree rebuild, required RTE V1.1.8 or 1.2.n and the whole code tree rebuild will fail if neither RTE are present. Oracle 9i will work with either 1.1.8 or 1.3.1.

We have both Oracle 8i and 9i based applications so are running both versions. When we first ran the 7.3-2 upgrade we had to locate a copy of the Java RTE 1.1.8 kit and re-install it along side 1.3.1 & 1.4.2 (it is available on the HP web site - if you look hard enough :o). Oracle 8i is now happy but unfortunatley if 9i find the earlier RTE it uses that rather than the later one. Ho hum :o)

BTW. You can purchase extended support for 8i if you really really want to keep it. We are pressing hard to get our 8i apps upgraded to 9i but the management inertia is crippling :o(

If you have any other issues just post another message. There seems to be a lot of really good advise on this forum.

hth

Robin Smith, ML (London)