New Discussion юеВ

Re: Oracle database version to Alpha VMS 7.3.2

SOLVED
Go to solution
Daniel Fernandez Illan
Trusted Contributor

Oracle database version to Alpha VMS 7.3.2

Hi all,

For needs of production, I must migrate some databases from Oracle 8.1.7 in alpha VMS 7.3.2 to Oracle 10g in HP_UX 11v2 (YES it is a HORROR/ERROR, but тАж, the application will continue executing on VMS).
Someone might provide some information about 10g server enterprise Oracle for alpha VMS 7.3.2?.
Thanks to all
11 REPLIES 11
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

the main Oracle VMS page is
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/partners/oracle/

10gR2 is due to be on VMS I64 by the end of the year.

What do you need to know?

Ian,
I need to know if it exists a version of Oracle 10g to alpha VMS 7.3.2, because on Itanium I must install HP-UX by client requires. My idea is install Oracle 10g on Alpha 7.3.2 and then migrate it to HP-UX using new features included on these version (RMAN, IMPDP & EXPDP), because I think that this procedure were faster that if I use SQL*loader utility (450 GB databases size) and Oracle's older version doesn't have them.
Regards.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

While HP consultants/support surely have been engaged in VMS Oracle -> HPUX oracle conversions those would have been specialized for a single customer as in general there has been little or no need for this. This is because, unlike Tru64, VMS is going forward to Itanium.

I would suggest you check out the transition tools HP provided for the Tru64 customers: http://h30097.www3.hp.com/transition/index.html
While detailed programs might not be avaiable, a lot of the thinking should apply.
This should help you decide for the right direction: IMP/EXP, private load too, dump + sqlloader, older backup + re-apply logs file, tapes, NFS, ftp, raw disks?

For this purpose i would suggest the 450 GB is a medium - large DB which will warrant serious investigation/preparation, but may still be achievable with straight and simple EXPORT-compress-transfer-IMPORT. A lot will depend on you downtime requirements.

Good luck,
Hein.
Daniel Fernandez Illan
Trusted Contributor

Hein
I have checked transitions tools from Tru64 to HP-UX and I found this link

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/files/unprotected/database/T-ISV-Tru64-Oracle10g-HTTS-1.0.pdf

which contains a summary of migration process from Tru64 to HP-UX but it only works between versions 10g of Oracle Database. Because that├в s I want know the ├в state of art├в for Oracle 10g on Alpha VMS 7.3.2 version.
Solution of simple export/import isn├в t available because databases are in a production's environment and downtime is critical.
Thanks to all.
Saludo
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Hein
>> I have checked transitions tools from Tru64 to HP-UX and I found this link
>> http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/files/unprotected/database/T-ISV-Tru64-Oracle10g-HTTS-1.0.pdf

Good. Your best downtime bets are indeed with up to 10G and over. But then you have the availability issue with 10G on VMS and this chnage over for a very short usage window.

I suspect the next best is to make a stop at 9i first. Do the export/import for the bulk data, then use STREAMS to 'catch up' in real time. Best I know basic streams functions came with 9.2.0.2, 9.2.0.4 made it useable, 9.2.0.5 slowed it down and 9.2.06 is what you would want to use.

Looks like I over simplyfied when I said re-apply logs. Those are binary and can not be use due the the endian issue. 10g and Rman can address this later.

I happen to sit next to the team that works on the transition modules. They are currently working on OpenVMS material similar to the Tru64 stuff. Availability is still weeks out internally, perhpas months externally. The group here on the floor would normally provide second select support. So you could engage with the normal services organization that would use their material and they would help them if/as needed. If the right contracts can be put in place this engineering time perhaps can be engaged directly. Send me mail (first name at company dot com) and I'll hook you up if appropriate.

Cheers,
Hein.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor
Solution

btw... wrt 10g on OpenVMS, If you are on Sue Skonteski's mailing list you would have received an updated roadmap and Statement of intent (showing 10g clearly).

I'll attach the roadmap ppt file.

For an up-grade and move-over conversion, would a Beta test suffice?

From Sue's mail:
----
Usually I would point you to the OpenVMS-Oracle webpage at http://h71000.www7.hp.com/partners/oracle/index.html to find these documents, but we are in the process of updating that page, so I am sending you the most recent ones. For what concerns a beta test, Oracle will have a beta release of 10gR2 few months in advance of the delivery date (again, currently scheduled for Q4 2005).
----

hth,
Hein.
Daniel Fernandez Illan
Trusted Contributor

Hein
A beta version might be sufficed, but i need check previously if features of older version are warranted in a development environment. After, I must test speed of database upgrade and downtimes.
I don't know if my client will accept this solution.
Saludos, Daniel.
Markus Waldorf_1
Regular Advisor

From my personal experience managing Oracle 9i under Tru64 and a bit of 8.1.7 under OVMS, including a support contract with Oracle, I have to admit, and I'm not happy to do so, that these platforms are somehow a little bit left behind when it comes down to OS specific support and information, and latest patch releases. I remember that we had to change our plan once several years ago with Oracle 8.1.7 under VMS and move to Tru64 simply because WebPortal and 9iAS was not yet ported to OVMS, apparently because it was not stable enough. I think VMS has very high user demands and expectations when it boils down to the quality of a product. I would certainly not want to trade it in for Linux or Windows. If 10g is really required because of a new 10g feature, than good luck. Otherwise I would suggest to stay with 9.2 which can very likely do the job just as well with less headaches.
Richard Helmke_2
Occasional Advisor

According to Oracle Metalink:

Full support is currently offered against Oracle Release 9.2.0.

Please note that the latest estimated release dates for Oracle 10g on
OpenVMS are :

Oracle release 10gR1 (Alpha only) 22nd April 2005
Oracle release 10gR2 (Alpha&Itanium) Q4 2005

And you can find other Oracle information at
http://h71000.www7.hp.com/solutions/oracle/VMSSOD.HTML. BTW: 10gR1 will run on 7.3-2 and 8.2 VMS/Alpha releases.