cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oralce 8i and Oracle 10 on same server

Andre Menard
Advisor

Oralce 8i and Oracle 10 on same server

I have recently installed Oracle10 on an OpenVMS server that already has an Oracle8i instance.
Has anyone gotten a DBlink to work between these 2 instance types on OpenVMS? Preferably from the Oracle8i instance to the Oracle10.
I keep getting the "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name" error."

Thanks

Andre

5 REPLIES 5
comarow
Trusted Contributor

Re: Oralce 8i and Oracle 10 on same server

Yes,

I've had them both running at the same time.

They were doing it to test the new version.

Good luck
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Google (your good friend and mine) finds all sorts of discussions for the ORA-12154 status. The select few hits I looked pointed to a configuration error in tnsnames.ora configuration.

If the above doesn't help, you can restrict the search to the Oracle web site (a web site which is quite likely to have a cogent discussion of an Oracle error) with the Google [site:oracle.com] syntax.

Failing that, remember to check Oracle Metalink; the Oracle support database.

Andre Menard
Advisor

I am not sure which TNSNAMES.ORA I should be
working on. There is one for the client, and
one for the Listener. Since I wish to get the DBlink running from the Oracle8i instance, I have modified the TNSNAMES.ORA file for both the client and the Oracle 8 listener to include the data for the Oracle10 database. Still no joy. I will play with it some more today.
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

Metalink article 207303.1 shows a matrix with "Client / Server / Interoperability Support Between Different Oracle Versions".
This is applicable for DBLink and direct conneects.

That matrix suggest for most 8.i clients to 10g a "Has never been Supported"
But for the 8.1.7 client to 10.1 or 10.2 server is mentions "Was a supported combination but one of the releases is no longer covered by any of Premier Support , Primary Error Correct support , Extended Support nor Extended Maintenance Support so fixes are no longer possible."
So it should work. :-).

I would recommend testing with a TNSping/SQLplus is a simple (8i) client to (10g) server first, than add the (minor)complexcity of the DBlink.

You would need to work on the TNSnames.ora for the client. It needs to know where to find the 10g server.

hth,
Hein.

Andre Menard
Advisor

I am running 8i (8.1.7.4.0). I will check the link that you suggested.

Thanks

Andre