Operating System - OpenVMS
1751840 Members
5072 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Other than Oracle, What MySQL/DBMS options are there for OpenVms?

SOLVED
Go to solution
blinkok
Visitor

Other than Oracle, What MySQL/DBMS options are there for OpenVms?

Other than Oracle, What MySQL/DBMS options are there for OpenVms?

For example: I have heard of MariaDB. I would like to know what the options are and what are the pros and cons.

Thanks you all very much in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
blinkok
Visitor

So i'm guesssing there are no alternatives?

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> So i'm guesssing there are no alternatives?

I know nothing, but the audience here has shrunk so much that I
wouldn't bet on that conclusion.  I'd try "comp.os.vms".  I have a dim
(and unreliable) recollection of such things being discussed there.

blinkok
Visitor
Solution

For future reference (Reply from comp.os.vms)

Start here:

Off the top, and beyond Oracle classic and Rdb relational databases, there's...

MariaDB and MySQL. (MariaDB is a MySQL fork.) SQLite. MIMER. Ingres.

Not necessarily the most current versions of these are available on OpenVMS. Often not.

Sybase was around, but is no longer available.

Irrespective of what I've seen listed in Wikipedia, PostgreSQL is *not* available for OpenVMS, and SQLite *is* available.

What works and what doesn't and what the trade-offs might be depends greatly on what the app requirements might be.

Whether Oracle will be porting their databases to OpenVMS x86-64 has not been confirned, and probably won't be until closer to the production release.

Basing on the last bootcamp's presentations, VSI is investigating the possibility to release and to support directly Mariadb and Postgress db on VMS (see the attached file).

Futhermore, VSI has released on the 29th January 2019 the LIBPQ PostgreSQL client API and embedded SQL pre-processor utility for OpenVMS, based on the PostgreSQL 11.0 open source distribution. Additional information about the LIBPQ C/C++ client API and the ECPG pre-processor utility can be found at https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/static/

For more details, please contact directly VSI at info@vmssoftware.com.

---
Oracle 10gR2 is currently available - Standard Edition and Enterprise edition, including RAC, for Alpha and Integrity platforms.

Oracle 11g is currently available only on Integrity platform with no RAC support. RAC will be supported when the new VSI TCPIP stack 10.6 will be released (the RAC 11g code has been partially updated relying on a new sw architecture design and the required features are: Apple Bonjour Multi-cast Domain Name Server Daemon or msdnsd and TCPIP socket pf_route event notification + API protocol BSD Routing Sockets)

Oracle 12c is on the horizon- strategy for OpenVMS porting: merging of the source codes between Linux and VMS (unique source code for both platforms means a best time-to-market for VMS)

RDB Release 7.3.3.1.0  (aka V7.3-310) was announced by Oracle just yesterday on the 21th March 2019, as patch set numbers 29514236 (Itanium kit) and 29514207 (Alpha kit). This kit contains some bugs fixing and a lot of new features.

---
Mariadb 5.5-63 is currently available. The code is ported and maintained on VMS platform, Alpha and Integrity, by Mark Berryman. Let me to say that Mark is doing an excellent work in this context. Every day I succefull use Mariadb with my VAMP paltform (VMS Apache Mysql PHP) https://www.theberrymans.com/php_kits/

---
Actian Ingres 11.0 for Itanium Platform https://esd.actian.com/platform

VectorWise - a unique, high-performance database engine :

- Processes data in “vectors” to achieve new levels of performance
- Exploits features in modern CPUs
- Utilizes a column-store approach for data storage
- Utilizes “smart compression” techniques
- Optimizes on-chip cache for greater performance gains
- Utilizes the Ingres database platform to access and manipulate data

---
Sharkdb by Compinia GmbH & Co. KG (not yet available, but it should be released soon).
Presented at the last VMS bootcamp in US :

- Enterprise Relational database
- 100% cluster aware on OpenVMS (single image DB)
- SQL standard compliant (as much as possible)
- Small data footprint
- Low resource consumption
- Easy to manage
- High performance (write optimized)
- Reliable
- Special SOA features / awareness
- Multi-Schema DB
- Multi-File DB
- File (storage area) access via OS file system
- Distributed/Remote DB access
- Available on OpenVMS and Windows
- Development platform OpenVMS
- Single code base
- Central/easy management
- Software as a Service (SaaS)

---
Mimer SQL Relational Database Management System (RDBMS) developed by Mimer Information Technology AB in Uppsala, Sweden https://www.mimer.com/

[ I am a HPE Employee and an OpenVMS Ambassador ]