2805 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: PCSI-E-FIN

Thierry Uso

PCSI-E-FIN

Hello,

Context: OpenVMS Itanium 8.3

After a PCSI installation of a product with a lot of files with "ODS5" names, I can't install or remove products anymore. I always get :

%PCSI-F-SYN, File specification syntax error
%PCSI-E-S_OPFAIL, Operation failed
%PCSIUI-E-ABORT, Operation terminated due to an unrecoverable error

The files of the PCSI database don't seem to be corrupted and I can list the installed products.

How can I clean the PCSI database? Is it possible to remove all the references of the product which caused this problem ? Another idea ?

Thanks for your help.
4 REPLIES 4
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Would you mind posting the following output:

o your default device and directory.
o Mandatory ECOs (there are some nasty bugs fixed)
o the REMOVE command used for the failure.

And the results of the PRODUCT ANALYZE PDB command.

I'd also poke around for PCSI files with odd filenames. If you enable the SET WATCH /CLASS=ALL FILE output (CMKRNL required), you might be able to spot the failing file(s). If you're not familiar with (undocumented) SET WATCH, invoke it, invoke the (failing) PCSI command, and wade through the output. /CLASS=NONE shuts the output off. =MAJOR and =DIRECT and such show somewhat less output.

And if you've got a support contract, ring up HP. There's apparently a bug here somewhere.
John Travell
Valued Contributor

Does it make any difference if you do
$ set process/parse_style=extended
before working with PCSI ?
JT:
Thierry Uso

Using SET WATCH was a great idea. I solved the problem with this powerfull tool.

SYS$SYSDEVICE:[PCSI$UNDO_001] contained the directory tree from the product which caused the problem. PRODUCT REMOVE scaned SYS$SYSDEVICE:[PCSI$UNDO_001] and failed because it didn't understand ODS5 names of some directories of the tree. I deleted this directory tree and then PRODUCT REMOVE worked again.

Release notes of OpenVMS 8.3 say that now PCSI handles well ODS5. It's seemed to be false. For example, a directory such as maven.org^.mortbay^.jetty.DIR is translated by PCSI as maven.org^.mortbay^]jetty.DIR

Maybe there are patches which correct this PCS behavior. I have only installed these ones:
CSWS211_UPDATE V1.0
VMS83I_UPDATE V1.0
CSWS_PHP13_UPDATE V1.0
Hoff
Honored Contributor

PCSI has gotten stuffed up with the SYS$SCRATCH path on several occasions.

I logged a bug against PCSI some time ago, as -- rather before the ODS-5 support was added -- as the local filename parsing wasn't handling valid path specifications. And then there was the lowercase "fun" when zip got involved.

If you want to derail various locally-parsed tools (strictly as a test), set your defaults and use file specifications to ddcu:. Use the angle-bracket syntax.

Certainly fodder for a HP support center submission.

Stephen Hoffman
HoffmanLabs