6610 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Pathwork 7.4 problem

somphong_1
Advisor

Pathwork 7.4 problem

Hi,Sir
I try to develope some application that use DECnet protocol by use Pathwork v7.4 on Win2003 for server and XP for Client. I found some problem about Pathworks v7.4 that run on Windows 2003 and XP with SP1 when I try to use some NCP command such as "monitor logging", "loop executor". When I run NCP command "Monitor loggin" on Windows XP with SP1, Windows XP will crash and show error message "DECnet Management Ultility has encountered a problem and needs to close We are sorry for the inconvenience" or when we use NCP command "Loop Executor" to do local loop back, it will show message "LOOP CIRCUIT not supported for executor node". Sometime, when we wrote program on XP to open socket and connect to another machine (Win2003) that used DECnet protocol, it could not do. If we use NCP command to show status of socket, it show status running all the time until we close socket. Could you suggest me about these problem ? I am not sure. Must I install some patch to correct this or not ?.
Regards
Somphong L.
15 REPLIES 15
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Somphong,
I stopped use decnet on PC some years ago so I don't know the features of V7.4
In past, after installation of DecNet on PC I had to open NCP and increase buffer of local line and/or circuit.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Paul Nunez
Respected Contributor

Hi,

There's a newer version of the decdnp.sys driver that may correct these problems, Somphong. I'm having some trouble locating it at the moment, so it may be Monday before I can provide a pointer.

I've set a calendar reminder for Monday to follow up...

Paul
somphong_1
Advisor

Hi Paul
I am thank you so much for suggestion. Could you give me more information about file that you suggest me ? I have more information that I tested when I ran NCP command "Monitor logging",it showed error message "DECnet Management Ultility has encountered a problem and needs to close We are sorry for the inconvenience" in dialog box. I found error message in event log of XP that show ncp.exe crash and there are fault module pwsock32.dll. I tried to use NCP command "Zero line" that it reset counter of line to zero when I wanted to verify about sending and recieving data in Physical line but it did not work. I am not sure, it will involve with file "decdnp.sys" or not. Could you suggest me about these ?
Best Regards
Somphong L.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

The crash may have to do with XP, or with SP1. I know there are more non-MS programs that run on W2K but crash on XP, and soem programs that run on XP but failed when SP1 was installed.
One thing you can try is disable the internal firewall. This may be the reason that the DECNet protocol cannot be used.
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
somphong_1
Advisor

Hi Willem G.
Actually, I think like you but I tried to use these command on Windows 2003. I found the result is the same and I test these command in test environment that we did not setup any firewall. I think it should involve about pathwork version because the result that I ran on windows 2003 and XP is the same. Could you have any idea ?
Best Regrads
Somphong L.
Paul Nunez
Respected Contributor

Hi Somphong,

I've located the latest version (.114) of decdnp.sys but I need your email address.

I have no idea if it will resolve the problems you are experiencing, I just offer it as a possible solution. I will share your errors with others who have more pw32 experience - hopefully one of them will know more...

Also, are there any errors in the pw32 event log (Start --> Programs --> PATHWORKS32 --> Event Viewer) which pertain to these issues?

Paul
somphong_1
Advisor

Hi Paul
I am so appreciate for your suggestion. This is my E-mail address "alslw@yahoo.com" I alread have checked in Pathwork event log that you suggested me, I did not see any error in this log. I check version of "decdnp.sys" is 7.2.106.0 that it come with Patwork v7.4. When I get this file, I just to copy it into C:\windows\system32\driver. Is it right ? I will try to test for this case. I am so thanks for your help.

Best Regards
Somphong L.
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Somphong,

As Paul has mentioned, there are later versions of decdnp.sys which fixes a number of symptoms, possibly yours. However, I have to advise against just installing the file from Paul - not a criticism of Paul, but it would be better to log a service case and receive a formal kit. I believe there may be some associated files that should be installed in addition to the new version of decdnp.sys With a case logged we can make sure your specific problem is fixed.
A crucible of informative mistakes
somphong_1
Advisor

Hi John G.
Could you tell me how I can log a service case and receive a formal kit about these ?

Regards
Somphong L.