1753846 Members
7885 Online
108807 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Pathwork License Server

Douglas Buxton
Advisor

Pathwork License Server

We are upgrading our ERP system to 3 tier client server with Oracle 10G. The application server is OpenVMS. We will be using pathworks for windows clients to view job log files. I set up pw on the test servers with a license server running on an ES40. Initially, the AS4000 had no problem seeing it, but the production server never saw any licenses available. Then approximately 3 weeks later, after a restart of PW, the AS4100 didn't see any licenses. All servers are set up as member servers of the domain and there have been no problems with windows logins. I have checked so make sure the license server is running and the nodes all can talk to each other. Anyone have any ideas about where the break is?
6 REPLIES 6
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Douglas,
I guess you have client licensing model, so every PC ask to license server (ES40) for network access.
On license server (with command ADMIN/LICENSE) what do you see?
Is it some license avaiable?
Don't forget HP has recently release a pw patch to solve some license/access trouble.

Antonio Vigliotti

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Douglas Buxton
Advisor

On the server with the license server running, I see all the licenses. On the other servers, "unable to communicate with the license server".
Douglas Buxton
Advisor

The other interesting thing is that no client licenses show up in the admin /license. In groups, you have Server_based (0) and default (100).
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

It is far more easier to manage if you use server based licenses, just enter the PAK and forget the rest. The 'modern' PWLMXXXCA07.03 PAKs can be used both ways.

mfg Kalle
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

The other interesting thing is that no client licenses show up in the admin /license. In groups, you have Server_based (0) and default (100).

As I supposed you are using client model. In this way, every PC has to require its license when booting. You can activate this feature running (on PC) the PNLR32 application or else you can configure (always on PC) running PNLCFG.
After this operatione you can see one license assigned to PC on license server.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Douglas Buxton
Advisor

If I unload the license on the servers not running license server, noone can connnect to them. Only to the one running the license server. The two servers not running license server always get "unable to communicate with license server" when you do an ADMIN /LICENSE. The problem appears to be browser or lanmanager type of communications issue.