New Discussion юеВ

Pathwork crash on user login!

Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Pathwork crash on user login!

My customer (same as previous),
AXP 1200, OVMS V7.1-2,
Pathwork V6.0A.
There are 3 logical network: one Mac network, one PCs network and one AXP network.
PC Netwok were based on NT4; now the old server is changed and new server is W2K, so PC network use Active Directory instead PDC.
Before change, user validated by NT4 can login in AXP network, because they use same password in both domains.
Now when a user, validated by W2K try logon on AXP domain, Pathwork crash with ACCVIO.
I think W2K use kerberos so cannot validate by AXP but why Pathwork crash?
I've removed one user form AXP domain so user have to login using another name and password but pathwork crash again.
Have you some idea?

Thanx
Antoniov

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
8 REPLIES 8
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Re: Pathwork crash on user login!

You'll need patch(es) anyway (or update to Advanced Server (7.x)), since Pathworks by itself is NOT capable of handling W2K. I don't know if that applies to Pathworks 6.0, but AdvancedServer 7.x can be configured as a member in a W2K-native domain, but will require a 'master' member - which can only be a Windows Server...
AFAIK , neither is capable of handling Active Directory (isn't that MS's LDAP implementation???)
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

PATHWORKS V6.0A is very old.

Why does it crash you ask? Easy answer - Because there is a bug in it somewhere. Unfortunately, V6.0A is so old that I don't recall a specific bug/crash such that I can say for certain that it has since been fixed, however, I am aware of no crashes when logging in to the current versions, so, I suspect that the bug is fixed.

For Windows 2000 support, you need to upgrade to PATHWORKS V6.1 or Advanced Server V7.3. That upgrade will require upgraded licenses.

No PATHWORKS or Advanced Server version supports Kerberos authentication.

If upgrading licenses is not an option, PATHWORKS V6.0D-ECO2 will probably work for you (without Kerberos), however, it won't be supported, and there will still be some limitations with respect to Windows 2000 support, such as PATHWORKS will not be able to participate in a native mode domain.

Brad McCusker
OpenVMS Engineering

Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Yes, Pathwork V6 is very old.
My customer have also VMS V7.1-2 so I can't install Advanced Server (because A/S required win/register installed sinc V7.2);
I'm speaking with my customer to upgrade V7.3 and other software but obviously that required time and money.

Now, because there is another PC in PC network with Win98, my customer is using this PC that don't crash Pathwork.

Thank to all.
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Antionio,

I remembered there has been a question in this forum before, you may take a look at it as well:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=44821

Forgive me if you already did...

Willem
Willem Grooters
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Thanks Willen,
I think my customer have to upgrade OVMS to 7.3 and then upgrade A/S 7.3 with most recent patches.

Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hello people,
there is some news.
If I create a new connection disk (L:) to shared folder, it's possible read and write without problem.
If I open MyNetwork and bla bla, server crash!
Strange world!

Bye
Antoniov
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Antonio,
Going back to your original question:

PC Netwok were based on NT4; now the old server is changed and new server is W2K, so PC network use Active Directory instead PDC.

So there HAS been a change.

Before change, user validated by NT4 can login in AXP network, because they use same password in both domains.

Obviously. We know this works...

Now when a user, validated by W2K try logon on AXP domain, Pathwork crash with ACCVIO.

But now - using Active Directory - there will definitively be a different method of login, and Pathworks cannot handle this, get's something weird and (my guess: due to a bug) will crash.
If you create a share, no login seems to be required (I see the same in my (PDC-based) environment). But appearently, MyNetwork will, for some odd reason.
I don't know for ECO2, nor higher versions, but I'm quite sure that Active Directory is NOT supported on any of these, so either bypass Advanced server (a bad idea) of reverse the decision to use Active Directory.
I don't think Microsoft would allow Advanced Server to support Active Directory (unless very well paid for?)

On the other hand: Brad, I don't think Advanced Server should CRASH in these circumstances, correct? I mean: ANY version.
Willem Grooters
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

>On the other hand: Brad, I don't think
>Advanced Server should CRASH in these ?
>circumstances, correct? I mean: ANY
>version.

Any *supported configuration*. Win2K was never supported with V6.0A, so, I have no expectations of performance and functionality.

I'm sure that what ever is causing the crash is fixed in the releases that support Win2K (otherwise, we'd be hearing about it).

Sorry to say, the answer here is an upgrade to V6.1 or Advanced Server V7.3A.

Brad
Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International