Operating System - OpenVMS
1752586 Members
4377 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Pathworks (Advanced Server) related.

SOLVED
Go to solution
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Pathworks (Advanced Server) related.

We are running Advanced Server 7.3-200B on an Alphaserver DS10, with OpenVMS 8.3.

I am having trouble with one file, file name is;

VENDOR_REBATES__082809.CSV

This file will not tranfer to the Windows side, i.e. it does not appear in the Windows folder.

I suspect that it is because it contains the string "__08" (i.e. double underscore). I had a similar experience where "__20" translates into " ".

Can anyone tell me if I am correct, and also point me to a source of information on these types of character translations.

I appreciate any help.

thanks

Dave,
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

I know nothing, but ...

> This file will not tranfer [...]

When you do _what_, exactly?

> I suspect [...]

I'd try starting with a file on the Windows
system with a name like the name you want,
and then see what happens to it when you
(somehow) "tran[s]fer" it to the VMS file
server.
Bill Hall
Honored Contributor

Dave,

I was able to cut and paste your filename into a terminal emulator window to create a file on a VMS 8.3/AS 7.3B server. The filename was listed in both Windows XP Explorer and a command window dir *.csv. Further I was able to edit the file from the Windows side.

Did I misinterpret the filename you posted? Is there a "^" in the filename when viewed from VMS?

Bill
Bill Hall
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Hi Bill,
I am pretty sure that the problem is with the double underscore (perhaps combined with the Windows version (to the best of my knowledge, Windows 2003 (Service Pack unknown, but probably fairly current))).

I replaced the double underscore with a single (as a test) and it appeared on the windows side OK. As a second test, I changed the file name to

VENDOR_REBATES_TEST_082809.CSV

and it worked again.

The double underscore certainly seems to be the villain in this case.

Would still be interested in pointers to any known documentation on this stuff.

(additional info, it turned out that the program generating the file is not composing the name correctly, and this is in the process of being fixed) So this problem will become moot in the near future.

Thanks Dave.
Bill Hall
Honored Contributor
Solution

Dave,

My testing was done on a ODS-5 volume. Are you using an ODS-2 volume? I believe on an ODS-2 volume AS will try to translate __08 as a backspace which would not be a valid Windows filename.

You should probably take a look at the AS Admin guide section 4.4 and 4.5ish:

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/82final/documentation/pdf/adsrv_admin_gd.pdf

Consider converting the disk to ODS-5. That will probably eliminate most problems with file names. There is a conversion utility documented in the Install and Config guide.

Bill
Bill Hall
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Thanks Bill,

(Who'd a thought about looking there!!)