Operating System - OpenVMS
1752327 Members
6064 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Pathworks - No free KNBCB available...You may need to re-configure for more clients

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dom Searle_1
Occasional Contributor

Pathworks - No free KNBCB available...You may need to re-configure for more clients

Hi,

I am running PATHWORKS V6.1 for OpenVMS (Advanced Server). I am getting the above error. Looking through hp's web site, it appears that something to try before adding new licenses is to configure the number of sessions to 22 greater then you would otherwise set. Is this client sessions or tcpip sessions ? Could some one advise on how to do this.

Many thanks,

Dom

---------------------
See for further info.
---------------------
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/asktima/communications/009D5588-DD9DEA00-210318.html

W
5 REPLIES 5
├Еge R├╕nning
Trusted Contributor

Re: Pathworks - No free KNBCB available...You may need to re-configure for more clients

Configure for more clients. The algorithm used to calculate the required number of KNBCBs did not work properly in V6 with extremely small numbers of configured clients. Up the configuration to 50 or so and the problem will probably go away.

ADMIN/CONFIG is where you change the number of clients.
Hope this helps!
VMS Forever
Lokesh_2
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pathworks - No free KNBCB available...You may need to re-configure for more clients

Hi Dom,

That's right. You can disable license server if you do not need it. Else, increase no. of clients as Age suggested.

Best regards,
Lokesh
What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor
Solution

This was discussed in a prior forum: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=262711

What I wrote in that forum was:

Yes, run PWCONFIG (@SYS$UPDATE:PWRK$CONFIG.COM) and bump up the clien connections.

If by chance you think that the current number should be sufficent, it may not be exactyl what it seems. Unfortunately, many clients will consume two sessions when they connect to file/print shares (one as an anonymous user to IPC$ share and the other for their normal file/print share connections). So you may need to double the number of clients you have, then you need to pad the number to accomodate trusts, communication with other domain controllers, $ ADMIN (and/or remote administration) sessions.

Also, if you are running the license server, that consumes 20 slots all by itself!

Good luck.

Brad
Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International
Dom Searle_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the advise. I upped the client connection count and this resolved the issue.

Does any one know how to generate a report of pathworks license usage over a specified period of time (say 48hours)? I know you can do this with admin /license but that is only for that specific time slot.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

Dom
Brad McCusker
Respected Contributor

>Does any one know how to generate a report
>of pathworks license usage over a specified
>period of time (say 48hours)?

This should probably be a seperate forum string, but, here goes....

No, I don't know of a way to do it over time. (Might be a nice extension to the undocumetned and unsupported PWMON though).

Maybe you could roll your own? PWLICENSE simply queries a lock value block. You could do the same:

SDA> SHOW RESOURCE /NAME="PWRK$LR_CU_PWLMXXXCA06.00"

Valblk: 00000032 00000001
00000000 00000032

Which translates to:

Valblk: Total Initialized
Used Available

Hope this helps.

Brad

Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International