108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Pathworks V6.1 with Windows 2003

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard Wingate
Advisor

Pathworks V6.1 with Windows 2003

I am trying to join the Pathworks Advanced Server to my Windows 2003 domain as a member server. I initially perform the configuration and supply the administrator/password so that the computer object will be created within the domain. This however does not work. I get a validation error. Therefore, I create the computer object in the domain and continue the configuration. The advanced server appears to join the domain. I say appears, because the computer object properties are updated, I can see the computer in the browse list, and I can map a OVMS drive. I do not believe things are working properly though. From the Admin utility, I cannot logon to any of the domain accounts. It seems to me like domain account information is not propagating to the advanced server. Has anyone experienced anything similar to the above. Any help is appreciated.

Rich Wingate
12 REPLIES 12
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor

Re: Pathworks V6.1 with Windows 2003

Richard, not sure about your specific problem, but I do remember reading that only Advanced Server 7.4 is certified to work with Windows 2003.

Rob.
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Rich,

not sure if you are running an VAX or Alpha (you tell about Pathworks and Advanced Server). If on an Alpha, pls. upgrade to AdvancedServer V7.3A-Eco4, the licenses are the same not sure,
if Pathworks is supported with W2003.

regards Kalle
Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Rich,

The SAM doesn't propogate to a member server. With admin, you log into the domain and are validated by a DC.

Is your W2K3 password possibly longer than the 14 character max allowed by Pathworks?

-Doug
Richard Wingate
Advisor

In resonse to Rob and Karl,

I have come across a couple references that state that PW61 is not officially certified with 2003 but that people have made it work. Unfortunately, I have not found any details. The SPD indicates that it will work with 2003, but the release notes never mention 2003. For right now, I am pretty much stuck with the software and licenses that I have, therefore no upgrades at this time.

I am running Alpha v7.1-2 in a cluster.

In response to Doug,

My validation failure occurs when I try to log onto the domain (from pathworks side). I found that I can use active directory to set up a share on the pathworks computer but then I cannot add users or groups to it. 2003 responds with a message that it cannot determine if the computer is joined to the domain.

My password is less than 14 characters.

Thanks Rich
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor
Solution

to make PW6 work with W2003 you make the Windows system use the older style authentication method.

Ian,

Do you know how I need to go about this? I thought this should be working by default. As of yet, I haven't found anything useful on the internet.

Rich
Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Rich,

As I recall, you have to run REGEDIT32 and change the data of value
EnablePlainTextPassword to 1. Naturally, back up the registry before you do this;-)

I think it's in the H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\... key path in a couple of places so you can use ->Find to locate it. Please don't change the registry until you're sure this is what you need to do.

You might want to google for that key value, and check MSKB, too.

I am hoping maybe one of the HP guys will jump in.

-Doug
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Rich,
The mainly trouble of pw and win2k/2k3/xp is login process. PW uses NT3/NT4 style while win 2k3 uses crypted password.
I don't know exact path in win2k3 so I can just give you some clue.
You have to open Control Panel, Administration tools, protection criteria and change enable server uncrypted password.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

Yes, you could check to see if the LAN Man. auth. level has been changed from the default:

Local Security Policy -> Local Policies -> Security Options -> Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level:

The default is LM & NTLM.