New Discussion юеВ

Pathworks or PWRK Help

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ian Derringer
Regular Advisor

Pathworks or PWRK Help

Hi,
Would someone please point me to the right direction on where I can go to get some help with Pathworks running on OpenVMS. Maybe, someone here can help me on how to access Pathworks to check on certain directory permission.

Thank you in advance.

Ian
16 REPLIES 16
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Pathworks or PWRK Help

Some quick questions. What version of VMS and Pathworks or Advanced Server do you have installed? Do you have a client or server issue? See http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/pathworksav.html for current documentation.
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Ian,
welcome in vms world :-)

Pathwork is now called Advanced Server. It's a network server based on lan-manager (NT4) technology.
The command console is ADMIN; you can type HELP ad admin level.
Read documentation of previous posts for detailed information.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Ian Derringer
Regular Advisor

Gentlemen - I am currently using VMS 7.3-2 and 7.3 for Pathworks. I set default to Pathworks manager directory and I typed 'administer' and the system asked for the password, which I do not know at this point. Does anyone here know how I can get around the password or how can I modify the directory permission without the password? The person I used to work with handled mostly VMS and he took a different job and now I'm stuck supporting this product without any instructions ):

I appreciate all your wisdoms and help.

Thanks!!

Ian
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Ian,

I am currently using VMS 7.3-2 and 7.3 for Pathworks.

I believe you have to upgrade to V7.3A of pwrk.

I set default to Pathworks manager directory and I typed 'administer' and the system asked for the password, which I do not know at this point.

You don't need change directory to open administrator console. It's very strange system askes you for password. It appears as admin is redefined symbol.
Can you type
$ ADMIN SHOW VER
and see what kind of answer you see.

See attached image, it a simple pathwork session of unprivilediated user.

Antonio Vigliotti

Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Ian Derringer
Regular Advisor

Ok...I was successfully showed the version that I was running is Advance Server 7.3A for OpenVMS. If I try to do anything else, it said, You must be logged on to perform the requested operation. At this point, do I typed logon and entered administrator for username, but failed at the password prompt. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Would you know the generic password that came with PWRK?

Thanks so much for your time.

Ian
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You can assign a new one:

$ @ sys$update:pwrk$config

I don't recall when, but there is a point where you get asked if you want to change it.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Ian,
you have to know the administrator password to manage PWRK.
As Uwe said, you can reconfigure pathwork, but if your system in a domain network or if its a BDC you can find more trouble than you can solve.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

If the system is a domain member, then this would change the local Administrator account's password, right?

And if the system is a BDC, then this should change the domain Administrator's password, no?

I wonder what problems a change of the Administrator account's password via PWRK$CONFIG can cause and how else Ian can get access to the system.