1752701 Members
6615 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Persona Audits

John A. Quinn
Occasional Contributor

Persona Audits

The persona audits do not appear to be documented under the set audit command... Does anyone know when I turn on audits for persona create, delete and modify, what am I auditing? Am I auditing the use of the system services associated with these functions or the actual creation, deletion or modification of the persona?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Um, is there a particular difference?
John A. Quinn
Occasional Contributor

I guess that depends on whether there is another way to create, delete or modify persona's other than using the system services. Is there?
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Short of hacking the kernel, I hope not.
Richard J Maher
Trusted Contributor

Hi John,

Good question.

What auditing do you have set?

What output are you getting?

I wonder if it covers reserve/delegate and I'm guessing the TCB bit turns it all off?

Cheers Richard Maher
John A. Quinn
Occasional Contributor

Richard,

I have turned on Persona auditing for delete, create and modify. This is on a test system and since I have turned it on, I have not gotten any audit records. The use of this audit has been suggested by Larry Kilgallen's LJK software tool and I am trying to figure out what exactly it does so I can describe it to others in the organization.

Thanks
Graham Burley
Frequent Advisor

There's a brief section on the persona services in the Programming Concepts manual System Security Services chapter, you may not have any software that actually uses them.

As I understand them, you haven't really exercised them until you do a $persona_assume, and software could create & delete personas without actually using them (with assume), but I guess it would be impractical to audit the assume.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

OpenVMS itself didn't use the persona services, when last I checked. Those particular audits will be rather quiet.

You'll have to issue some system service calls yourself to get any traffic on those particular audits, or install a product that uses those calls.

Lob a report at HP for the documentation of the audits, and lob a second report at Mr Kilgallen for the LJK pieces.