Operating System - OpenVMS
1748156 Members
4335 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: [Personal Alpha] No IP access to Host but ping (again)

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hoff
Honored Contributor

You've done a yeoman job here at finding what look to be a number of "hardware" problems with the emulator.

These details really need to be documented over at Stromasys and preferably within the installation notes within these kits, or (better) implemented within the installation kit itself.

Well, this is the very first hard one I encountered, and to me it ahs nothing to do with the emulator. Looks like it is a network hardware problem, no ?
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Didier,

thanks for following up on this.

For a better understanding, here is a pointer to a Wikipedia article on TOE - TCP Offload Engine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_Offload_Engine

There is one sentence, which seems to explain why this may be causing a problem for the NDIS driver used in PersonalAlpha:

'Complexity - TOE breaks the assumption that kernels make about having access to all resources at all times - details such as memory used by open connections are not available with TOE. TOE also requires very large changes to a networking stack in order to be supported properly, and even when that is done, features like Quality of Service and packet filtering typically do not work.'

Volker.

Problem solved.
Thanks to all and

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Prospero ano y felicidad, DTL.

> "Looks like it is a network hardware problem, no?"

Didn't some bonehead here say that all the way back in the beginning? Bad hardware is bad hardware, even if it's really bad (emulated) hardware.

It is most excellent that you've gotten this working.

Now please do us all a _huge_ favor and write this stuff up as an article, and post it somewhere. Or submit the article for VTJ. Or something.

And if you don't have a spot to post the article that you're writing here, send it along; I do. I'm happy to assist with reviewing the article, too.