108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Personal Alpha trouble seeing PC network adapter

SOLVED
Go to solution
DECxchange
Regular Advisor

Personal Alpha trouble seeing PC network adapter

My co-VMS System Manager and Iin my company are trying to run Personal Alpha on his laptop. It has both wireless and wired ethernet. Inside personal alpha, the configuration ESA Mapphing To Host Adapter drop down menu shows no ethernet host adapter. Has anybody run into this problem?

When he was using version 1. something, he could run the emulator just fine, but with no network adapter. Then he recently downloaded version 2.0.6. Now the emulator won't even run.

Anybody use the latest version and solved the networking issue? Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Personal Alpha trouble seeing PC network adapter

If you look at the network adapter bindings for the wired LAN card (control panel -> network connections -> name of wired LAN card -> properties), do you see an item called:

Alpha Emulator Packet Protocol (NDIS5)

Is it selected ?

This is the NDIS5 adapter, which allows PersonalAlpha to use the Windows network card and/or share that adapter with Windows.

Volker.
DECxchange
Regular Advisor

Volker,
It is selected but the properties button is grayed out. Should it be unchecked on the wireless one? Does it make a difference? Thanks for your quick response.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

The NDIS5 driver may only be selected on ONE LAN interface. Deselect it on the wireless one.

You may need to reboot once after installing PersonalAlpha, if the NDIS5 driver had been installed during the installation. To manually install the driver, look for ei_packet.inf in the Personal Alpha directory.

There are forums especially for PersonalAlpha, CHARON-AXP and CHARON-VAX at:

http://emulators1.iae.nl/forum/

Volker.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

It's normal, that the Properties button is grayed out for the Personal Alpha NDIS5 item.

Volker.
DECxchange
Regular Advisor

We unchecked the wireless and then rebooted the PC. it came back with only the wired checked. But shows none for the network adapter in the drop down list.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

I'm not yet running PersonalAlpha V2.0, but I'll be at the CeBIT fair in Hannover tomorrow and I'll ask the folks from SRI/Emulators International...

You may just want to post this question in their forum (see above).

Volker.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Not showing the network adapter seems to be some kind of GUI problem seen sometimes with PersonalAlpha.

I have been told, that all network adapters can have NDIS5 enabled.

You can manually start PersonalAlpha from the DOS prompt:

cd c:\Program Files\Personal alpha\
alpha.exe -f alpha.cfg

You can manually edit the alpha.cfg file. For the network interface, use the connection name as shown in Windows.

For details, please refer to

http://emulators1.iae.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=849

(especially the reply posted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:15 pm).

Volker.
DECxchange
Regular Advisor

Volker,
Thanks for all the info. We will look into your suggestions.