108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Personal alpha on Windows 7

SOLVED
Go to solution
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

Personal alpha on Windows 7

Has anyone seen anything about personal alpha being ported to windows 7?
19 REPLIES 19
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Huh? Something needs to be "ported" to a later version of the same operating system? How weird is that?
A crucible of informative mistakes
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

Saw Personal alpha was on Vista - Windows 7 isn't the same - even though it is windows. I never assume anything working on one version of windows works on the next - heck, not even if its just one "major" patch from MS does it guarantee it will work :D
Bill Pedersen
Regular Advisor

Personal Alpha, from Stomasys, is supported on XP. There are some current issues with Vista which they are working on, the suggested manual work arounds are not consistent. As I have not heard about Windows 7 I would suspect it is not yet available. I would direct you to Stromasys for more information and any comment on availability.

Bill.
Bill Pedersen
CCSS - Computer Consulting System Services, LLC
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

It runs on XP out-of-the-box, without anything special. If the claim of "XP mode" in Win7 is right, it _should_ work as well, without any special issues.
It runs on Vista with some precaution (You'll need to run the installation program as administrator, create a new shortcut and set it to run as admin as well), it _might_ be that the same procedure wil make it run on Windows 7.

Chances are that it won't work either way. "Backward comptability" is not in the DNA of most Windows developers...
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Here's a potential path:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.asp

Given the retirement of the legacy Microsoft Windows platforms locally, I do not know how well this approach might or might not work.

Or (best) ask Stromasys.
Peter Zeiszler
Trusted Contributor

I checked Stromasys first. I figured with all of the knowledge floating around and answering the forums someone might have gotten information ahead of windows 7 release.

Asking about it because I run mainly XP at home and only 1 Vista computer. Learned the hard way to avoid windows ME (anyone else remember that). I am looking at a new system with windows 7 as a free upgrade and with a quad core cpu, thinking - hey - VM alpha on it :D

Thanks for the responses. Guess I will have to wait for answer from Stromasys.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Peter,

I've received 2 answers from Stromasys on this question:

- PersonalAlpha is supposed to work on Windows 7. Just set GUI.EXE and ALPHA.EXE to run with admin privs and in Windows XP mode.

- some 'official' version may be built with Windows 7 support until the end of this year.

Volker.
John Reagan
Respected Contributor

Don't forget that Windows XP mode is only available in Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate. It isn't in Starter or Home Premium.
Milton Baar
Frequent Advisor

Tried on Win7 Professional, set all the .exes to run XPSP3 compatibility and with administrator privilege can boot but.....it can't install the packet driver - have rebooted and tried several tweaks of network setting - still no go.