108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Phone Utility

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Re: Phone Utility

PHONE is bog-standard DECnet task-to-task communications; there's not all that much that can go wrong.

See if the PHONE servers are enabled and active in the DECnet configurations and if the passwords are correct across the hosts involved.

As for transmission errors...

First, see if PHONE works locally; on the box.

Here's PHONE on a nearby OpenVMS box...

Object = PHONE

Number = 29
File id = SYS$SYSTEM:PHONE.EXE
User id = PHONE$SERVER
Proxy access = incoming and outgoing
Alias outgoing = Disabled
Alias incoming = Enabled

To see details in NCL:

NCL>sho sess control application phone all

Node names and back-translations are also something to check; that the hosts all have the same set of node names. If the nodes disagree on DECnet names and addresses, confusion can ensue.

Check accounting or auditing for failures around the time of the transmission errors, too.

Privileges? I'd expect at least NETMBX and possibly or probably TMPMBX.

Configuring Jabber or IRC or other such IM tools on your client boxes would seem to be an alternative, too; PHONE hasn't seen much in the way of changes in eons.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Dave,

how about PHONE operations involving DECnet links, like %DIR node:: ? Do they all work as expected ?

Volker.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Dave,

the PHONE network protocol just seems to send 1 byte of data (using io$_writevblk) as the 'universal status' value for a remote operation:

phn$_linkerror -> send '0'
phn$_targterm -> send '7'

One of the other universal status values, which can easily be reproduced is '9' which maps to 'hn$_unplugged'. Can you try, if this works correctly ? Have a remote user issue a SET TERM/NOBRADCAST=PHONE and dial it using node::user, you should get the 'unplugged' message.

Did you check, whether is makes any difference, if the DECnet goes via native DECnet protocol or via DECnet-over-ip ?

Volker.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

See new attachment.

1. Phone setup in NCP and NCL looks to be correct.

2. DECLinks (i.e. %DIR ::) works fine in all directions and between all systems.

3. Setting broadcast=nophone did not give the "unplugged" message, just gave the same "...terminal cannot be used as a telephone." message.

4. I'm not in a position to try Phase IV, I only have Phase V nodes.

5. "Node names and back-translations". What would be the best way to confirm this?

Dave.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Dave,

does the following message always show up in NET$SERVER.LOG on the remote node, if you get the phn$_targterm error message ?

%SYSTEM-W-NOSUCHDEV, no such device available
That person's terminal cannot be used as a telephone.

Then the next question would be, which operation may fail with NOSUCHDEV and could this failure then be mapped to the 'phn$_targterm' status message.

To find out, whether DECnet-over-IP is being used, do a $ SET HOST node, login and check, whether you see an IP connection to ports 102 or 399 from your source node.

Volker.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

HI Hein,

I tested DECNet over IP, as you suggested, (see attachment). Looks like it is working.

As for the error message, I dont recall seeing any other message in the NET$SERVER.LOG.

Dave.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Dave,

assuming that the users are connecting via TELNET, what do the TNA device unit numbers look like ? Maybe greater than 9999 ?

Volker.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Hi Hein,

I think you might be getting warm. On Bud, (the production machine)

Bud:BaxterD>> show proc

14-NOV-2009 09:13:20.01 User: BAXTERD Process ID: 203BB516
Node: BUD Process name: "BAXTERD"

Terminal: TNA47274: (Host: 10.20.22.110 Port: 2565)
User Identifier: [BAXTERD]

????

Dave
Base priority: 4
Default file spec: USERROOT:[BAXTERD]
Number of Kthreads: 1

Devices allocated: TNA47274:

whereas on the development machine,

Oesdev:BaxterD>> show proc

14-NOV-2009 09:16:03.98 User: BAXTERD Process ID: 000048F9
Node: OESDEV Process name: "BAXTERD"

Terminal: TNA226: (Host: 10.20.22.110 Port: 2571)
User Identifier: [125H,BAXTERD]
Base priority: 4
Default file spec: USERROOT:[BAXTERD]
Number of Kthreads: 1

Devices allocated: TNA226:

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Dave,

it's me: Volker ;-)

It's not only getting warm, it's getting HOT !

Consider to have a look at this thread:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1074590

Volker.
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Volker,
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

I am certain that this is the problem, (and I apologise for keep calling you "Hein")

Old age I'm afraid. I can either concentrate on who I'm talking to, or I can concentrate on the problem, unfortunately not both. (never used to be like that!)

I will need to discuss with my compatriots regarding what they need most, i.e. large numbers of tna/bg devices, or the phone utility. I imagine that the Phone Utility will be the thing to go.

Thanks again

Dave.