1753759 Members
4786 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Porting Intel cross compilers from VAX/VMS to IA64

Didier Morandi

Porting Intel cross compilers from VAX/VMS to IA64

Greetings,

I have a Customer who is intensively using Intel PLM186 and 386 software on their VAX/VMS systems to write embedded cross-compiled code for these chips (80186 and 80386).

It looks like, from Intel, these products do not exist anymore nither on, VAX or Alpha, and are in any way not planned to be made available on the IPF platform.

What should I suggest to my Customer to help his company move smoothly to Itanium?

A solution could be to produce code on OpenVMS/IA64 for Pentium or even Itanium chips, but this would bring the Customer into years of certification process which is just "unthinkable".

Many thanks,

D.
aka DTL in a previous life :-)
3 REPLIES 3
Todd Maurer
Advisor

Is there a driving factor to more this customer from VAX? If the issue is hardware or performance, then perhaps they could use the Charon VAX emulator. That would allow them to stay with VAX/VMS. The host system for the emulator can be Pentium/Windows, Alpha/VMS and I think now Pentium/Linux. Maybe there is an IA64/VMS elumator plan but I don't know.

Todd
OpenVMS is here to stay
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Som year ago, my customer used DecMigrate product to convert binary VAX files into AXP binary files.
DecMigrate convert also shared images.
Contact HP support to more information.

Antonio Maria Vigliotti

Hi,

It seems to be possible to migrate from OpenVMS VAX to OpenVMS Itanium. Have a look at this http://www.softresint.com/openvms/migr_services.htm

(The same company that sell Charon-VAX emulator.)

/Lena