1747986 Members
4319 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Print to data type PCL5/PCL6 from Integrity Server OpenVMS 8.3

Linda Tan
Occasional Advisor

Print to data type PCL5/PCL6 from Integrity Server OpenVMS 8.3

I need to setup an Integrity Server that is running OpenVMS 8.3-1H1 to print to a HPBussinessInkJet300 PCL5 printer and a Toshiba Studio 450 PCL6 printer. Are these data type supported in DCPS? Both printers are on the network with unique IP address. Are they considered as raw TCP or LPD? Thanks in advance for your assistance.
4 REPLIES 4
RBrown_1
Trusted Contributor

> Are these data type supported in DCPS?

I find a DCPS$IVP_PCL.DAT in SYS$COMMON:[SYSTEST.DCPS], so I'm going to say "yes".

> Are they considered as raw TCP or LPD?

Dunno.
Bill Hall
Honored Contributor

Linda,

DCPS supports Postscript printers. DCPS will convert PCL4 to Postscript and then send the Postscript to the printer. DCPS will pass PCL5 and above through to the printer, but DCPS doesn't really generate PCL for you.

You would have to generate your own device control libraries for these printers. I'm sure there are old LaserJet PCL device control libraries that can be found and used as an example/template.

There may be a commercially available solution, but I'm not aware of one.

Bill
Bill Hall
Paul Anderson_7
Frequent Advisor

DCPS knows which supported printers have a PCL interpreter and also assumes that all unrecognized printers also have a PCL interpreter. To all these printers, PCL jobs are sent "as is" to the printer, surrounded by PostScript commands to control the job.

DCPS only converts PCL to PostScript if the printer is not known to have a PCL interpreter or under certain combinations of print parameter requests (such as NUMBER_UP).

Paul
Linda Tan
Occasional Advisor

Should I setup the printer by using TCPIP$LPRSETUP or DCPS service? Which one is better? Are these printers considered as raw TCP or LDP?
Thanks.