1748123 Members
3212 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Printer configuration

Riverhawk
Advisor

Printer configuration

My printer /process setting will always reset after the vms system has been rebooted on OpenVMS System Version 7.1-2. Is there a way to keep the printer settings the same after a reboot?

8 REPLIES 8
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Could you be more specific ?
Reset...how ?

Starting in VMS 5.5-2, all queuesettings are stored in a queuedatabase.

But I always recommend that the settings ALSO are added to the system startupfiles.

This could be your problem.
You change queuesettings manually and after a reboot.....they are gone, right ?

Hakan

AKA "The Diplomead Printerguru"
Don't make it worse by guessing.........
Riverhawk
Advisor

yes that is correct, it would change after a reboot. which startup file do I configure to retain my printer settings after it comes back up?
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Do a SEARCH through the commandfiles

$ SEARCH SYS$MANAGER:*.com searchstring

Hakan

Hoff
Honored Contributor

Reposting this reply. ITRC chewed up the first try, as per usual. Though I did check, apologies on any duplicates that appear.

Guessing and assuming details about what might be happening here, take a look at the DCL commands used to initialize the print queue in the system startup. One potential guess is that the command(s) used to establish the queue manager are erasing the queue database, or are otherwise somehow wiping and resetting the queue attributes. SEARCH the startup files for details, and usually SYS$MANAGER:SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM, but the queue-related commands can be elsewhere.

Details on managing batch and print queues are covered in the System Manager's Manuals, available in the OpenVMS shelf here:

http://www.hp.com/go/openvms/doc

If on the other hand, you're referring to an external printer and its setup, that's usually loaded via device control libraries. Those are discussed in various spots including here:

http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/622

If these guesses are wrong... Please consider providing a few more words around the problem statement, or an example of what's happening. Here, for instance, including exactly how you reestablish the "correct" settings will go a great distance toward helping folks here in understanding and identifying and assisting you with the problem. A question that can be written in one or two sentences can almost invariably be easily misinterpreted and can thus be answered entirely incorrectly.

Terseness is an adversary to an expeditious (and to a correct!) answer.
Riverhawk
Advisor

Attached is the before and after of the printer setting.
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

Ok.....

After boot the queue is a LPDqueue and you change it to a TELNETqueue.

LPD is a bit different from other symbionts.
The queuesetup for LPD is menudriven.

But its possible to edit the LPDstartup/shutdown to remove the incorrect setup of PrinterA

Take a look in
SYS$STARTUP:TCPIP$LPD_SYSTARTUP.COM
SYS$STARTUP:TCPIP$LPD_SYSHUTDOWN.COM

Finally you have to change /PROCESSOR=UCX$TELNETSYM to /PROCESSOR=TCPIP$TELNETSYM

Hakan

Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

@Hakan,

>>>
Finally you have to change /PROCESSOR=UCX$TELNETSYM to /PROCESSOR=TCPIP$TELNETSYM
<<<

Uhm, not too sure of that.

UCX got replaced by TCPIP services at VMS 7.2

-- Although (IIRC) it IS possible to update UCX V4.x to TCPIPservices V5.x on VMS 7.1(x), I hardly expect TCP to be updated where VMS is not.

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.
Hakan Zanderau ( Anders
Trusted Contributor

The reason to change was found in the "booted" queue... /PROCESSOR=TCPIP$LPD_SMB

Hakan