1753865 Members
7557 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Printing across trusted domains

Tony Schroeder
Occasional Advisor

Printing across trusted domains

If I have an Alpha server with printers shared as part of the Advanced Server domain, and then a Windows domain that users authenticate to, can the users on the Windows domain map to and print to the printers on the OpenVMS domain? I am assuming I will have to set up some sort of trust???

5 REPLIES 5
Karl Rohwedder
Honored Contributor

With the ADMIN ADD TRUST command you can establish trust relationships between domains.

regards Kalle
Andy Bustamante
Honored Contributor

You can also connect to your Advanced Server domain and manage it from the gui of your Windows domain.

You'll need client access licenses for users connecting to the printer. Look for the PWRKXXXCA license under

$SHOW LICENSE

Andy
If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? Reach me at first_name + "." + last_name at sysmanager net
Tony Schroeder
Occasional Advisor

I have the trust added on my Open VMS system, but I am having issues getting the trust added on the Windows 2003 Server. I am in the 'Domain and Trusts' config window, but I don't see how to add it. Any ideas?

Doug Phillips
Trusted Contributor

If you have a Win2003 Small Business Server, it doesn't allow trusts and that option will be greyed out. You can still allow users to access the shares, but not via domain trusts.

If you have a "normal" Win2003 server, you must use explicit one-way trusts, and a domain must allow the other to trust it before the other can.

For W2K3, in the Domains and Trusts window, right-click the domain, and choose properties. Then, in the Trusts tab, see "outgoing trusts" and "incoming trusts"

For AS use $ADMIN, (login as administrator), see help for ADD TRUST /TRUSTED and ADD TRUST /PERMITTED.

Permit the trust in domain1 before adding the trust in domain2. Then permit in domain2 before trusting in domain1.

Hope that helps.
Tony Schroeder
Occasional Advisor

I have a Windows 2003 server with SP1 installed and have already done ADD TRUST W2003 /PERMITTED in Advanced Server. Now when I go to Domains and Trusts on the W2K3 box, and try to add the domain trust, I get the message 'The trust relationship cannot be created because the following error occurred: The operation failed. The error is: Access is Denied.

I have double checked and the user/pwd for the domain I am trying to add is correct.

Any ideas?