5261 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Printing with LAT / Telnetsymbiont

Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Printing with LAT / Telnetsymbiont

We had a printer working fine with LAT.

We replaced it by a telnetsymbiont. The logical tcpip$telnetsym_suppress_formfeeds is set to 1.

Result : the pageskip(ff) between listings is gone. Since the logical affects all queues, I can not change it.

The form used is default without setup.

I tried to set the sep page. Result : a ff is added but sometimes this reesults in extra ff thus wasting paper.

I tried a form with a ff in the setup. Ignored.

I tried a form with escP in the setup. Strange reactions.

Is there any good doc on what symbionts are exactly doing, esp. with ff ?

Wim

Btw : what an implementation ! You have to define the logical with a correct value before starting the queue. It would have been a lot better to have the queue name in the logical. Now I should warn all users that stop queues !
Wim
15 REPLIES 15
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Small detail : it was a LG06 using LAT that was replaced by a Tally 6140 with IP box to connect it to the network (Jetdirect is said when you do telnet to it).

Wim
Wim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

I print a file without FF init and without using a form.
Is LATSYM adding FF in certain situations ? (terminal settings, decserver port settings, etc).

Wim
Wim
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Hi,

All simbionts append an FF to the end of the printed file, and a FF at the begining of the first job (after stop/next).

By the way which symbiont are you using? Telnetsym or tcpip$telnetsym. In the documentation is said that these are two diferent symbionts. The tcpip$symbiont is talking to the port with the telnet protocol, (can be changed setting a logical) so the port (service) on the printer server must be set to telnet or the logical for raw protocol defined.

If I remember esc P is the ANSI escape sequence for nonstandard escape sequences, but Im not shure.

About the logicals I agree 100% with you, there should be a special qualifier to save this data in the queue. Something like USER_DATA or QUEUE_DATA. So each queue can have its settings.

Bojan
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

That is exactly my problem. We ask to suppress the FF for the laser printers (or we get a blank page). But this way we suppress the FF between 2 listings on the tally.

The only solution I see is to put the tallys (not Thalys which is a TGV train over here) in a different owner group and to define a logical on group level.

Btw : we use the tcpip$telnetsym.
Wim
Bojan Nemec
Honored Contributor

Wim,

What abbout suppressing FFs on laser printers as Pathworks do. A special escape sequence in the /separate=reset? Now I have no VMS system on hand and I cant look which is the exact escape sequence and test if can work.

The second option (for me the best, I prefer LAT for priner servers) try to change the printer server with one which supports LAT. Lantronix MPS or LPS or one of Troy printer servers.

There is another option, write a new TCP/IP symbiont which has a litle more friendly setup.

Bojan
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

No LAT allowed and since I hate printers I'm not going to write a new symb.
Wim
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Changing the owner of a queue doesn't change the owner of the symbiont process. So, group logicals don't work.

Nobody an idea ?

Wim
Wim
labadie_1
Honored Contributor

Wim

may be we should ask (with enough noise :-) that the tcpip$telnetsym* logicals can be printer specific. Many customers have 100 or more printers. The old idea of defining a logical for a printer, start it, defining the same logical with another value for another printer, start it... is not possible at all when you have a big number of printers to manage. And when you stop and start them later, it is not possible to stick to this approach. I do not know if such a change is planned for the next Tcpip version.
Ian Miller.
Honored Contributor

A suggestion - go to the http://www.hpuseradvocacy.org/ site and submit this issue, get five me too votes and hp are commited to respond.