Re: Problem eXcursion on XP

SOLVED
Go to solution
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Lokesh,
Not yet ;-(
Looking at the XDM logging, it turned out that XDM gets the router's address within it's own subnet (VMS box is 192.168.0.2 and the router is 192.168.0.31). It couldn't translate the name - so I added it in the hostfile. Still, it didn't work but I lost the messages.
Next, I found that what's behind this router (192.168.1.0) isn't seen - since the route did not exist - but my laptop in this net can access the VMS box without a problem except using XDM...
In XDM logging, I find lines:
%SYSTEM-S-NORMAL, normal successful completion
%NONAME-F-NOMSG, Message number 00000004

No intrusions, no messages in operator.log, and acc tells me on TCPID$XDM nothing more than that...

Any place to look for more in fo, just ask. Hopefully there is some time....
Willem Grooters
OpenVMS Developer & System Manager
Lokesh_2
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi Willem,

Is your PC and VMS machine on same LAN ? Check if your router is blocking this ? I have not tested XDM accross routers yet. XDM is port 177 and uses UDP.

Thanks & regards,
Lokesh
What would you do with your life if you knew you could not fail?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Is the XP box running Service Pack 2 already? Any chance that the new firewall causes problems?

I would try to disable it at least on the LAN connection - it is somewhere on the properties. Sorry, can't tell you the exact names, because I use the German version of XP.
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Lokesh,
It's not in the same LAN - that is: same IP network, as you could read in the addresses.
I don't know about the router, it's one of these black boxes that come with no documention and no management tools - just a VERY SIMPLE web-interface. Output IS said to come from this box (192.168.0.31) and so XDM will return it that way. Probably the router doesn't pass it on. I'll try to XDM on the same segment and see what happens there.

Volker,
Karl already mentioned that.
Willem Grooters
Willem Grooters
Honored Contributor

Solved, well, sort-of
When connecting this PC to the same LAN segment (= same network) as the server, there is no problem....So it wasn't XP after all - just a too simple router. Thanks Lokeh for your hint.
Willem Grooters