New Discussion

Re: Problem to install C compiler 73

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Hoff
Honored Contributor

>Interestingly enough, I have had similar problems in the past with kits FTPd from HP. 

That isn't particularly unusual, in my experience.   

I have a posting on how to detect whether -V was used when the archive was zipped.

HP also commonly uses very old versions of zip and unzip as part of their operations.

>I found that making sure that the FTP was in binary mode and that the UNZIP is done on VMS results in correct behavior.  UNZIPing on a Windows system even with a binary transfer to a VMS system afterwards will fail more times that not

Again, Microsoft Windows, Unix, HP-UX, Linux and OS X do not preserve the OpenVMS file system metadata, so any storage of an OpenVMS file on a non-OpenVMS platform can and will strip off the file system metadata.    

Unzip an archive on a non-OpenVMS platform, and the metadata will be stripped, irrespective of whether "-V" was used when the archive was created.

Some RMS file formats are portable, and will transfer to and from these non-OpenVMS platforms.  These formats are not sensitive to the loss of the metadata. 

Those OpenVMS files using formats dependent on the metadata will not transfer cleanly.  BACKUP is one such format; savesets get the necessary metadata stripped.

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

It is possible also to reset the RMS file attribute of a saveset file, which gets corrupted while the saveset is transferred through World Wide Web (WWW) or copied using FTP or compressed and uncompressed using ZIP, using the qualifier  "/Reset" of the Backup utility  :

$ Backup /List save_set_name /Save /Repair

This qualifier is supported starting from OpenVMS V8.3 and later (Alpha and Integrity).

Best Regards,

/Maurizio

[ I am a HPE Employee and an OpenVMS Ambassador ]
John Gillings
Honored Contributor

Maurizio,

> This qualifier is supported starting from OpenVMS V8.3

Sorry to be a pedant, but strictly speaking it's NOT supported at all, it's just a (very) useful undocumented feature.

Although it made it into the released codestream, it's never been documented or announced except by word of mouth. A parting gift from a good friend of OpenVMS, Guy Peleg, implementing a product enhancement request I submitted in the early 1990s. It probably took him all of 20 minutes to implement.

A crucible of informative mistakes
H.Becker
Honored Contributor

>>> ... undocumented feature.

It's documented in 8.4: http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/84final/6048/6048pro_025.html. 

John,

this new feature is now officially supported and it is also well documented into the OpenVMS V8.4 manual

"HP OpenVMS System Management Utilities Reference Manual: A–L Order, Number: BA555-90008, Jun-2010".

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/84final/6048/ba555_90008.pdf

paragraph 7, page 7-84.

Also the V8.4 help library of the backup utility was modified to include this new qualifier.

Regards,

/Maurizio

[ I am a HPE Employee and an OpenVMS Ambassador ]