5949 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem with OpenVMS SAN Boot from IBM SVC

Marty Steffens
Advisor

Volker,

I attached another efi map after removing the mapping of the host to device $1$DGA121 on the SVC. I also had to issue the "reset" efi command to remove LUN0. I still see LUN300000000000. Still received same error, though, when trying to boot from it.

Marty
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Marty,
Could you also show the output from the Boot Manager Screen.

Dave.
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Marty,

you'd either have to involve IBM or HP support to find out what kind of configuration problem causes the INCONSTATE crash. Only HP OpenVMS Engineering (or the HP support center, if this problem is already documented internally) will know, what causes this crash to happen.

Volker.
Marty Steffens
Advisor

Volker,

A developer from SVC Support is able to recreate the BUGCHECK problem at their lab in Tucson, but currently have no resolution to the problem. I will update this thread when the resolution is found. Thanks again for all your help.

Marty
David Huber_1
Occasional Advisor

any update on SVC functioning with OpenVMS....we are looking to transition some 7.3-2 systems to SVC based storage...

Please advise
thanks
david
KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)
Marty Steffens
Advisor

David,

The latest SVC code (4.2.1.x) will support OpenVMS SAN Boot, now. We did get an IFIX from IBM after they found the problem with the SAN Boot and that fixed our problem, but 4.2.1.x is your ticket. Here's a link to the recommended OpenVMS software levels.

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=591&uid=ssg1S1003090#_OpenVMS

Best regards,

Marty
Marty Steffens
Advisor

David,

A couple more things I forgot to include that are critical in seeing the SVC disk in OpenVMS:

1) Create a Vdisk with a scsi id of 0 (smallest unit of space as possible) for the OpenVMS Host.

2) When you create the rest of the Vdisk for data, change the UNIT DEVICE IDENTIFIER within the SVC to whatever you want(within the guidelines). This number will be added to your disk device names when you display them in OpenVMS.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Marty
David Huber_1
Occasional Advisor

We have a couple of GS1280's and a couple of ES40's in a cluster booting off of FC storage. The systems are the older EMA12000. We mainly want to be able to transition to SVC storage and Boot-on-SAN (BoS) and continue on...

I guess the BoS is the main issue that I want to ensure works!!

thank you for your time
you can email me directly if you like...
david.huber@stjude.org

david
David Huber_1
Occasional Advisor

Marty,
We are about to execute an agreement for a pair of 16TB DS4800s and two instance of SVC with global mirroring software...Would it be possible for you and I to have a brief discussion and understand the environment you are running OpenVMS and SVC?

thank you
david