New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problems with CD/DVD drives on OpenVMS 8.3

SOLVED
Go to solution
Christopher Blackburn
Frequent Advisor

Hoff,
Many thanks for your reply (you are the God of VMS), You guessed right it was 4MB rather than Mb.
I too believe the media is not good as I have tried the same DVD in two different drives (one USB on the IA64 Blade and one internal IDE drive on an old Alpha DS10). I get the same poor performance on both systems with the same slow behaviour. Again no errors are logged on the device but the IO count for the device is very large after a simple file copy. I'm copying files from the DVD onto the OpenVMS server. I'm currently up to 10 million operations and I've only copied a few thousand small files.
I will close the thead now and try to re-create the DVD media on a standalone PC to improve the compatibility with the VMS drives.

Again - Many thanks for your help.
Christopher Blackburn
Frequent Advisor

Problem believed to be bad media or incompatibility between creating system/software (PC probably running NERO) and the destination system (HP BLADE).

Thanks for all replies.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

I've found the CDburnerPro XP to be functional and reliable (and free), if you're operating on Microsoft Windows. Ensure you use ISO-9660:1988 strict subset.

If operating on OpenVMS, there are commercial DVD recording packages available for various versions. One of the folks replying here offers one.

OpenVMS V8.3 and later includes integrated DVD recording with the COPY /RECORDABLE_MEDIA command. V7.3-1 and later includes CD recording. This assumes you have an appropriate burner on your OpenVMS box, and there are some good options for IDE buses. For USB burners, get ECOs and/or V8.3-1H1.

And media is always interesting when dealing with CD and DVD recording; cheaper recordable media is worth what you pay for it, or even less.

Various of the recording tools have verification centrally because of the problems seen with various recordable media and with flaky drives or flaky drive firmware.