6077 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Process Quota Exceeded during sys$creprc call

Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Wim,

if a program only uses malloc to allocate data and never returns it via free, once it's done processing that data, I would call this a 'memory leak'.

You can use ACCOUNTING to look at previous instances of the program aborting. Check the Peak page file: value in those previous accounting records. If the values are all near or equal to PGFLQUOTA, you can be sure, that there is a memory leak. Just double the value of PGFLQUOTA and your process may run twice as long. Make sure you have enough free pagefile space.

Volker.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Volker,

In that case we have lots of memory leaks over here.

E.g. Sybase server, lots of programs that malloc as the cache needs to be extented (the ING.be bank position is kept in memory), etc.

So, it depends on the program.

Wim
Wim
Craigers

I agree with both of you. I should have added the caveat: "if my application is not designed to accumulate anything". In general, a steady memory usage increase in my application would be unexpected. We're holding steady at 60%... /yawn

Thanks,
Craig
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Craig,

next time you start this process, consider to use SET PROC/DUMP or RUN/DUMP. This should create a process dump (imagename.DMP) on a fatal error. You could then ANAL/PROC that dump - maybe to find out, what kind of data is being stored in process memory (typically at high end of P0 space for a memory leak, as the address space will expand continously).

Volker.
Wim Van den Wyngaert
Honored Contributor

Time to change your user name ?

Wim
Wim
Craigers

Ok, maybe this user name is better... At least it seems more reusable! haha, thanks!

Craig
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Craig,

since you are new to this community, I would like to point out

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.