New Discussion юеВ

Pros & Cons for running OpenVMS 8.2 on ES 45 vs. Itanium RX4640

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jorge Cocomess
Super Advisor

Pros & Cons for running OpenVMS 8.2 on ES 45 vs. Itanium RX4640

Greetings,

Currently, we are running OpenVMS 7.3-2 on our ES45 Model 2 (4 X 1.0GHz) w/16GB RAM -- On the other hand, we have this new Itanium RX4640 (4 x 1.2GHz) w/16GB of RAM w/Linux RHAS 3.0.

Currently, we licensed for VMS 8.2 and I was thinking installing this version of VMS on this Itanium box. However, before I go through all this, we would like to know the benefit of doing this or none at all. Will my application run with OpenVMS 8.2? Yes, I think it will.

Can someone running this same setup shines some lights on this topic?

Thank you in advance.

J
3 REPLIES 3
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Re: Pros & Cons for running OpenVMS 8.2 on ES 45 vs. Itanium RX4640

Jorge,

The one of the advantage is you can add your new HP Integrity servers/OpenVMS V8.2 right into your existing AlphaServer cluster.

Moving your applications from OpenVMS on AlphaServer systems to the HP Integrity/OpenVMS 8.2 platform can be as straightforward as recompiling, relinking, and using.

Archunan
Regards
Archie
Arch_Muthiah
Honored Contributor

Jorge,

Regards to Linux interoperability, OpenVMS on Itegrity Server

1. Improves ease of porting and developing UNIX/Linux applications

2. Increases usability by offering UNIX/Linux interoperability, which allows users familiar with the UNIX command line to easily interface with OpenVMS

3.Allows applications written in UNIX to be compiled onto OpenVMS systems with greater ease,

4. Allows UNIX applications that use process-shared mutexes and condition variables to be more easily ported to OpenVMS

Archunan
Regards
Archie
Robert Atkinson
Respected Contributor
Solution

> Currently, we licensed for VMS 8.2 and I was thinking installing this version of VMS on this Itanium box

Jorge - be aware that Itanium is licenced completely seperately from Alpha, and your Alpha VMS licences will NOT be legal on your Itanium. They may not even run.

The good news is that HP are offering good trade-in discounts, to 'help' move customers over to Itanium.

Rob.