1752795 Members
5592 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

%QMAN-I-INVSMBMSG2

Frank Dean_1
Occasional Contributor

%QMAN-I-INVSMBMSG2

Has anyone run across the following type of message “%QMAN-I-INVSMBMSG2, invalid data 53 in message from symbiont id 11”. I am currently using Scriptserver V5.1-5 for printing and using Multinet V4.4 for TCP/IP services, on an OpenVMS V7.3 cluster. When the message is generated there are ssv$smb.dmp files created in the Scriptserver directory. The problem appears to occur when a print queue encounters some network connectivity condition that causes the print queue to constantly stop & start. VMS help

$ help/message invsmbmsg

INVSMBMSG, invalid data in message from symbiont on queue
'queue-name' is being ignored

Facility: QMAN, Queue Manager

Explanation: A minor breach of symbiont or queue manager protocol occurred.
The queue manager explicitly made adjustments to compensate
for the breach. The symbiont will continue to process work.

This message is intended to alert symbiont writers to problems
in symbiont code. In most cases, users other than symbiont
writers need not be concerned when this message appears.

The vendor (Graymatter), had previously recommended an upgrade from V5.1-3. This so far has not presented a system problem, but is more of an annoyance.
6 REPLIES 6
Peter Quodling
Trusted Contributor

Re: %QMAN-I-INVSMBMSG2

THis message tends to indicate a synchronization issue in the SNDJBC calls talking with the Symbiont. I would suggest talking Graymatter's advise and updating SW (although a quick glance at their release notes, doesn't indicate a compatible problem/fix, but one never knows...)

q
Leave the Money on the Fridge.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Frank,
welcome to vms forum :-)

No luck. I'm afraid you have to listen Peter's hint. Otherwise you have to ignore this message.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
David B Sneddon
Honored Contributor

Frank,

When do you get these messages?
I sometimes see this type of message when shutting
down a system -- and ignore it.

Dave
Volker Halle
Honored Contributor

Frank,

from the OpenVMS V6.2 New Features manual:

3.17.2 Messages That Cause the Queue Manager to Abort the Symbiont
Invalid symbiont messages that cause the queue manager to request the symbiont to abort are listed in Table 3-6. The queue manager returns a JBC$_INVMSG status in the iosb of the $SNDJBC SYMBIONT_SERVICE request that generated the error. The PRTSMB or LATSYM process will exit, producing a dump file. For example, if a start queue requiring that a new symbiont process be created is immediately followed by a stop queue for the same queue, an invalid message type number 53 might be logged, as in the following example:

%%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM ss-MMM-ddd hh:mm:ss.hh %%%%%%%%
Message from user QUEUE_MANAGE
%QMAN-I-INVSMBMSG2, invalid data 53 in message from symbiont id 4

So this is a software protocol problem between the symbiont and the queue manager. Those SSV$SMB.DMP files are process dumps (you can look at them with ANAL/PROC). Make sure you purge those process dump files from time to time. Consider to upgrade the symbiont software, if a more recent version is available.

Volker.
Frank Dean_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter, for the response
Frank Dean_1
Occasional Contributor

I have contacted the vendor for support on finding a solution.