108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Question regarding SMTP via MULTINET

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chaim Budnick
Regular Advisor

Question regarding SMTP via MULTINET

Is there any LOG file via which I can determine if a mail sent via an SMTP server queue indeed was sent without any errors?

A user has complained that mail sent to a specific address is NOT being received by taht recipient, and I would like to trace the mail as best I can.

Thanks,

Chaim
2 REPLIES 2
Craig A Berry
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Question regarding SMTP via MULTINET

Depending on what version of MultiNet you have, you can enable accounting for the SMTP service. See:

http://www.process.com/tcpip/mndocs/MN%20v5.0%20Installation%20Administrator%20Guide/Ch15.htm#E54E19

I believe messages that fail remain in the MULTINET_SPOOL directory so you might look in there. You might also look in the operator log, though I'm not sure what goes in there by default. Generally, though, only failure is logged, not success.
Mike Ford_2

Re: Question regarding SMTP via MULTINET

If you are using VMSMAIL to send the smtp mail using MULTINET, ie. mail/subject="xxx" mail.txt "smtp%address"; any failures will show up as failure mail messages in the vmsmail of the userid that you are using to send the mail. We are using a batch process with a non-interactive userid and the vmsmail for that userid is set to forward any mail messages to my userid. This is good because it indicates whether the mail address is invalid or not found on that server or that the mail server you are sending to is unfound, etc.